Hump Day: video streaming coming soon

14 minutes ago, Dll said:

Ah, well Jordan's original statement feels a bit disingenuous then. Not great, I have to say. 

16 minutes ago, opentype said:

Well, that’s the “marketing talk” way of saying it. It’s already in black and white on the pricing page: 
https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

Oh. 😔 I was not trying to be disingenuous or use slick marketing talk. I could have phrased it better it seems. My apologies. 

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Sadly, I suspect they will do away with us in the next couple of years.  Hopefully Xenforo continues to improve and doesn't go this route also.

I'll make a prediction. IPS 5.0 will be for cloud users only, whilst maintaining 4.x for us cheapskates. (for a bit maybe)

Edited by marklcfc

4 hours ago, Davyc said:

No!  If you don't mention new features then no one will know about them but

Maybe make an enterprise only membership and forum then. Who really cares if you will never be an enterprise client? Why do I need to know about something I will never have available to me? I've wasted time reading someting thinking its a great new feature, that in turn, will not exist for me and many, many others. 

I'm not feeling comfortable to read every second Humpty Dumpty message for only enterprise plans. I feel more and more to be pushed in the 2nd row. I'm not LEGO®, SEGA, Mattel or any other big company. 
I'm just a nice guy, with a moderate wallet, who want to offer his members the best experience.

I'm just hoping that the self hosting plan goes on and on and on...
You offer one of the best plattforms, but it feels more and more, that the small man are not longer be welcome. I know that you all think, that's not true... and you are happy to have small and big customers. 

But as a small customer, i have to say that the last year have changed many things (to negative in my mind)

• Management
1 minute ago, MythonPonty said:

You offer one of the best plattforms, but it feels more and more, that the small man are not longer be welcome.

Other than us announcing new features for higher platform tiers that may not suit your own personal budget or needs, what else do we do that makes you feel unwelcome?

58 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

Maybe make an enterprise only membership and forum then. Who really cares if you will never be an enterprise client? Why do I need to know about something I will never have available to me? I've wasted time reading someting thinking its a great new feature, that in turn, will not exist for me and many, many others. 

Where does that sort of thing begin and end though. Should they not announce updates to the gallery (for instance) because it may annoy those who don't have it? 

The communication has been a bit off with this, and it seems like lessons have been learned there. So, maybe just accept that there'll be threads on here which aren't of interest to you, and move on?

15 hours ago, Dll said:

Where does that sort of thing begin and end though. Should they not announce updates to the gallery (for instance) because it may annoy those who don't have it? 

The communication has been a bit off with this, and it seems like lessons have been learned there. So, maybe just accept that there'll be threads on here which aren't of interest to you, and move on?

Sure, but the theme here lately is cloud, cloud, and now enterprise only… that’s the disconnect.

As for where to begin and end…The difference is that normal users have the option to get Gallery and even on self hosted plans (currently), Gallery isn’t for “enterprise only” customers, which is just not affordable or realistic for the majority that frequent this forum. 

3 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

Sure, but the theme here lately is cloud, cloud, and now enterprise only… that’s the disconnect.

As for where to begin and end…The difference is that normal users have the option to get Gallery and even on self hosted plans (currently), Gallery isn’t for “enterprise only” customers, which is just not affordable or realistic for the majority that frequent this forum. 

I hear you and appreciate you weighing in. I don't necessarily agree we should stop informing the community as a whole about new capabilities our platform is capable of. However, I think it's worth mentioning that I will do better next time when talking about a new feature (that will include access for people on our self-hosted plans). 

11 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

However, I think it's worth mentioning that I will do better next time when talking about a new feature (that will include access for people on our self-hosted plans). 

It's simple. Since you already know every cloud client of yours, announce these cloud features only to them. Use IPS features and filter those user groups out.

Do not announce cloud features to self hosted clients. You are creating discomfort, your clients are not happy (myself included), you just need to read the answers.

Use the IPS features to display these announcements to the proper user groups. Create a forum channel only visible to cloud clients, I do that all the time with my community. Your software can do all that and more, just use it the right way.

I just don't know why you can't. Maybe you don't want to though.

Edited by OptimusBain

There is nothing wrong with staying informed about the entire product line. After all, some admins will be interested in switching to the cloud offer, if it provides features or benefits they might want. So, they want to get that information as well. We just need to be able to easily tell which new feature applies to which plan. 

2 hours ago, opentype said:

There is nothing wrong with staying informed about the entire product line. After all, some admins will be interested in switching to the cloud offer, if it provides features or benefits they might want. So, they want to get that information as well. We just need to be able to easily tell which new feature applies to which plan. 

That would be perfect in an ideal world. But perfect scenarios do not abound. IPS is clearly focused on cloud clients, that's a fact after reading the latest posts and announcements from IPS staff. As I suggested, filters need to be applied. When we read the comments, it's quite obvious that things could and should be done differently.I am just suggesting what they should do in order to prevent more discomfort from happening. 

I, am many others, are not interested in reading about great or not so great features if I can't even dream of them. They should be separated from the main self-hosted streams.

If this forum was my community and I had read all the comments I've read, I would have turned red, yellow and purple. I would have taken action to at least prevent the discomfort. I don't see IPS caring about any of these comments and opinions because they have already made up their minds about IPS future and it's just a matter of time that other big things happen; and self hosted clients won't probably be on the right side of the equation. You just need to read the comments to read the sentiment of self hosted clients. 

I can't do anything about it, unfortunately. Those who can (IPS) already made up their minds.

Edited by OptimusBain

• 3 months later...

Just found this thread, as I was looking for a video streaming option for our site. Frustrating losing so much traction to YouTube during events.

I would switch to cloud hosting if we could live stream a few times a month. Does anyone know if more information was made available about this option?

I've experimented with video hosted on our own site, and I wouldn't really recommend it for anyone running a smaller community. What I saw was a few users uploading gigs and gigs of videos that were basically all the same thing, with few views, so I ended up paying month after month to store hours of videos that no one was watching. I got rid of this feature and my S3 bill dropped back down close to zero.