New Spam Prevention Features

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Do you have the Invision Community Geolocation service enabled

Yes, it's enabled:

DQaS2zH.png

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

(and an active license key)? (ACP > Integrations)

Do you mean the License Key? Sure. I don't see any option to enter the license key in Integrations for the Geo.

@Matt, got it.

Registration was disabled as it is a test site. Working now. Thanks.

pbrXXs5.png

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, blacknight said:

How can I activate this feature?

Its not clear what you mean here. Are you referring to the email validation or something else? If it's the email validation, type contact into the search bar at the top of your admin CP, then click on contact us first in the list 🙂 

On 8/16/2023 at 10:23 PM, Ryan Ashbrook said:

We have added an extra option to our spam defense system to filter users registering with throwaway disposable emails, which are often used by spammers to bypass email validation.

Would it be possible to update this to include verification of all email address changes? Not just verification on registration.

It is common for accounts to be registered with a throwaway email (e.g. Gmail) account and after change the email to a disposable address...

Ted.

2 minutes ago, ntxpla said:

This is awesome , thank you 🙂  

is there a log to see which accounts were blocked from registering based on this filter or not?

If a user attempts to register and is held for moderation, admin approval, or banned, then it will be noted as the reason in that accounts member history for both Disposable Emails and Geolocation filtering.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:33 PM, Fast Lane! said:

Hi, the geolocation block is only at a country level (really broad block).  Can we narrow that down at all?  For countries like India (with lots of spam attacks) this would block a few Billion legitimate people.

The problem is that when you get beyond the country level, the accuracy of identifying where users are coming from literally craters. I work for a large CDN that bases its business on knowing where users are coming from and I can tell you it’s HARD. The databases (especially free ones) out there are essentially trash and useless. 

22 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Instead of blocking countries using Geolocation Services, can only allow the US to be allowed?  One of my sites is for my neighborhood HOA.  There will only be members from my neighborhood.

The only way in which to do that at present would be to block every other country

Hello,

I have blocked South Africa as a lot of spammer are currently registering from that country on my forum. But yet, some spammers connecting with a South African IP are able to register on my forum. Why is that? How can it be fixed? Thank you!

6 hours ago, Balto said:

Hello,

I have blocked South Africa as a lot of spammer are currently registering from that country on my forum. But yet, some spammers connecting with a South African IP are able to register on my forum. Why is that? How can it be fixed? Thank you!

Same on India. 

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Am I able to see what countries I've blocked?  In that example, I don't see Afghanistan on a list of blocked countries AND it's still in the dropdown to try to list.

You would see your settings in the ACP -> Spam Prevention -> Geolocation Settings:

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage