Hump Day: subscriptions in Achievements

graphic.png

Hey team! Another hump day is already upon us. We have a bunch of 4.6 goodness in development still. We're aiming to have it released in the coming weeks.

I want to share a little teaser of a new implementation in our forthcoming Achievements application. You'll be able to reward members for getting a subscription to your community! Subscriptions are a super powerful way to promote community and engage with your VIPs. Here's a little screen shot:

bildschirmfoto_2021-03-30_um_15.45.14.png

While I've got ya... below are a list of fixes, improvements and updates we made for 4.6. 

Also, there's a bunch of great topics in the Suggestions forum. I'm going to review some with the team this week and circle back there, so keep an eye out! 

Any of these catch your attention in particular? Have a question about the new Achievements mini-announcement? Drop us a reply!

- Improved rich embedding to support embedding of short links provided by the TikTok app (vm.tiktok.com links).

- Fixed a niche issue where _really_ old vBulletin avatars may not be converted.

- Fixed an IN_DEV error editing Pages templates that was thrown for applications without any Pages Templates.

- Improved soft deleting comments/reviews to remove code duplication.

- Fixed an issue where review ratings are not recalculated properly when a review is deleted.

- Updated the ModCP content restore (soft delete) to use the built in `restore()` method instead of using its own code.

- Fixed importing members from CSV to Date custom fields not importing properly.

- Improved performance of the Vanilla converter.

- Fixed some issues when converting from Vanilla and your files used to be in S3. 

- Fixed an issue where editor contents may be lost or incorrect when paginating through a topic and using the editor on different pages.

- Fixed an issue where canceling an ad purchase would result in an error.

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness is always welcome as far as previous functionality doesn't get affected.

I am seriously disappointed with IPS rolling out 4.5 with such a serious bug in subscriptions.

Where members with expired subscription are "ONLY" forced to renew the same or just seeing the expired message instead of seeing all other subscription "SELECT" button like before. Our 90% members start with monthly subscription and then either upgrade or switch to Annual plan once monthly subscription get expired.

Hope you and your team has seen the loom video I shared with Marc from IPS support.

I really appreciate if you can provide an immediate patch for this bug or roll out 4.6 early by today. 

I'm happy to pay additional charges if it helps to expedite, to fix this bug on priority as it impact our business very much.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:50 AM, Jordan Invision said:

Fixed an issue where editor contents may be lost or incorrect when paginating through a topic and using the editor on different pages.

This looks to be still broken (if the fix is included on today's update here).

On 3/31/2021 at 10:50 AM, Jordan Invision said:

We're aiming to have it released in the coming weeks.

Will there be a beta? We'd like to start testing this in our QA environment similarly to what we did with 4.5 from 4.4.

• Management
1 hour ago, AlexWebsites said:

This is nice, but what about the other way around....get achievements and reward with a subscription. I guess that would be more of a reward though but then again so is the badge I guess.

Monetizing the Achievements system is something we plan to look into. As you might imagine, turning community engagement into something equivalent to money is an area you have to be very careful with so we decided not to do it for the first iteration of Achievements.

5 minutes ago, Charles said:

Monetizing the Achievements system is something we plan to look into. As you might imagine, turning community engagement into something equivalent to money is an area you have to be very careful with so we decided not to do it for the first iteration of Achievements.

So I use subscriptions to charge for group levels. I supposed you could have an achievement setting that works with group promotions (not sure if it does) but then some sort of way to identify on a subscriptions page that the user already earned it and its not available for purchase. Something like that. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 5:49 PM, Gauravk said:

Goodness is always welcome as far as previous functionality doesn't get affected.

I am seriously disappointed with IPS rolling out 4.5 with such a serious bug in subscriptions.

Where members with expired subscription are "ONLY" forced to renew the same or just seeing the expired message instead of seeing all other subscription "SELECT" button like before. Our 90% members start with monthly subscription and then either upgrade or switch to Annual plan once monthly subscription get expired.

Hope you and your team has seen the loom video I shared with Marc from IPS support.

I really appreciate if you can provide an immediate patch for this bug or roll out 4.6 early by today. 

I'm happy to pay additional charges if it helps to expedite, to fix this bug on priority as it impact our business very much.

Its been a month now and we have seen 75% drop in our subscription renewal income for this one single bug alone.

HEIGHTS OF BEING IRRESPONSIBILE, NON-SUPPORTIVE, NON-COOPERATIVE and not understanding customers pain.

Any date announced for 4.6 release yet..............?

• 8 months later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:01 AM, AlexWebsites said:

So I use subscriptions to charge for group levels. I supposed you could have an achievement setting that works with group promotions (not sure if it does) but then some sort of way to identify on a subscriptions page that the user already earned it and its not available for purchase. Something like that. 

I'm still trying to figure out a way to accomplish this. Ideally, awardiing a subscription for achievements or group promotion is what I'm looking for. 

Or some way to identify on the /subscriptions page that the member has earned it already (still thinking this one through and how to maybe post a block with some code to show a message "Don't subscribe, you got it FREE!".

It would be nice to see subscriptions awarded based on achievements. I would probably add commerce to another site or two specifically for subscriptions.

• 1 month later...

Thought i'd loop back around to this one as we've just gone live with some 'Memberships' and whichever one they select, they receive points and a Medal (Badge) to go on their profile. More than expected have appreciated the medal on taking up a Membership.

I think it would be great to keep building on Achievements and understanding the roadmap for upcoming features and enhancements to it so we can keep ahead in our own planning.

• 3 months later...
On 4/14/2021 at 8:52 AM, Charles said:

Revisiting this a year later... would be nice to reward active users with a subscription. They stay active for a set amount of time or reach a milestone, they automatically get a subscription.

• 10 months later...
On 6/19/2022 at 11:51 PM, AlexWebsites said:

Revisiting this a year later... would be nice to reward active users with a subscription. They stay active for a set amount of time or reach a milestone, they automatically get a subscription.

Revisiting another year later...would be nice to reward active users with a subscription...😝

42 minutes ago, nodle said:

Wait, what did I miss when I was gone? What happened to my boy @Jordan Miller ? Is this why I am not seeing the Hump Day posts anymore?

Jordan had an incredible opportunity come up working for Amazon that was too good to pass up. 

Details are in the last hump day…

Edited by Randy Calvert