Hump Day: Sneak Peek at Achievements

20 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

Looks great, will there be any rewards ability/integrated?  Specifically with commerce.

• Reach a points achievement, receive some $$, gift card, credit, other monetary value.
  • Reach a points achievement, receive a free subscription or product. If already subscribed, receive credit.
  • Reach a points achievement, receive a move to a designated user group.

Just some ideas in my head at the moment for self-hosted customers... j/k 🤣

These are all great ideas! This will be an ongoing project that will evolve over time. In our initial release we aren't translating points to = money. But I do like that concept because in theory it encourages people to engage. One issue with that is we want to avoid members writing "lol" as their comment just to earn points. But maybe we can implement a character threshold. Just thinking out lout with ya 😆  

I currently use Members Shop to encourage activity. This has to be the best plugin available for the forum.

The main factor is allowing members to use their points to gain rewards. 

Whether it be the ability to pin a topic for a set number of days, or use it to download a file, it is very powerful.

Now that the developer of this plugin is no longer supporting it, this is a great opportunity to offer this type of gamification officially. 

I do hope as it develops, these types of features getting added overtime. 

22 hours ago, Rikki said:

There'll be more details soon, but it's very flexible. We have over 15 different rules built-in right now, for common actions across the community. Most can be limited by quantity and/or location.

Here's a look at configuring a "Award points when a user posts 1000 topics" rule:

image.png

Some rules can award different users too - for example, we have an action that fires when someone votes on a poll, but you can choose to award the voter and/or the poll author. I think this sort of flexibility will open up some really interesting engagement possibilities!

image.png

This a MAJOR step in the right direction. Any feature or ability that we can do on our forums that can not be done in Facebook Groups, or Reddit, or which ever platform we are competing with, is a huge bonus.

Members Shop
Members Shop Goals
Automation Rules

If the features and capabilities of all these plugins can be developed internally from IPS themselves, then I'm sure you'd be dealing with a lot of happy admins!

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Management
1 hour ago, marklcfc said:

How will it apply to current members? Some of mine have 20,000 posts and may get every achievement instantly. 

That's up to you. I am working on a 'rebuild' method. On upgrade you could choose to run it or not. I'm also seeing if it's viable to add in a time to start awarding from, so you could go back 6 or 12 months and apply awards from then, instead of reaching right back to the start of the site.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

That's up to you. I am working on a 'rebuild' method. On upgrade you could choose to run it or not. I'm also seeing if it's viable to add in a time to start awarding from, so you could go back 6 or 12 months and apply awards from then, instead of reaching right back to the start of the site.

That sounds perfect. If I could make a request, could you please ensure that rebuilds do not trigger notifications? I'd like to avoid swamping members with notifications when it goes live.

Great job IPS team. 😄

7 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

Another bout for the post count puppies.

Sadly that's what attracts people, rather than posting something worthwhile.  But, if that gains traction for a site then it will be seen as a positive in a world where positive has been devolved.  Whatever, the fact is that this is the kind of thing that people want (hell, even desire) and it will be an attraction for those who value quantity over quality.  It would be interesting to have some feedback from site owners when this is added to an upcoming upgrade as what kind of an effect it has on posting levels and the quality of those posts 🙂

I might agree for those that do not have or the need for solid directional content may accept the what ever it takes attitude to get by to make google happy. Brownie points were never my cup of tea. Good solid content that can be backed up as solid evidence should be the focus of  a forum and leave the loose noise of social media like Facebook.

Edited by Woodsman

4 hours ago, Matt said:

I am working on a 'rebuild' method. On upgrade you could choose to run it or not. I'm also seeing if it's viable to add in a time to start awarding from, so you could go back 6 or 12 months and apply awards from then, instead of reaching right back to the start of the site.

😍

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for finally getting around to this, I never thought it would happen after asking for gamification for years. I think the possibilities are almost endless especially if devs can add their own extensions as well.

Can I ask about about the badges appearance, will they be based or optionally based on Font Awesome codes? FA codes especially those in FA5 make for some great looking rewards. Perhaps an option to upload PNG/SVG's too?

Secondly, will there be an option to award special one off badges/trophies to members?

Final question for now, will there be a few options where to display them besides the obviously in user profiles e.g. say, like a trophy cabinet style page, small badges next to or in-line below posts, perhaps when you hover over one it could perhaps rise up with a title text?

Don't forget some achievement widget options for them too! 😀

Edited by The Old Man