October 2022 Release Chat (Video)

In Invision Community's October Release Live Webinar, we discuss a few key features included in the next platform update. 

@Charles showcases our new Events application which now features a visually stunning overview page. He also answers a few questions clients submitted to @Olivia Clark, including how to use the app for physical versus online events, what to do if your community doesn't offer many events and more.

We also talk about adding support for OpenSearch 2.1, adding application filters for new reports in the Moderator Control Panel's report center, as well as updating Graphql library to 14.11.6.

Do you have a question about the October 2022 release? Feel free to ask in this topic.

Did you miss the webinar? No worries. We uploaded the video session for you to watch:

Thanks for this informative video guys! I know a lot of the feedback you get from customers here (including myself sometimes!) is to have more of a view on what’s coming up with new features and roadmap items, so it is great to see that happening with these videos. Hope they become a regular feature!

I love the new Events front page, would this replace the current Calendar view at all? Also, my community tends to use the Calendar feature as more of a release date/anniversaries feature for certain products (games, comics, etc) so would those sorts of calendar events still be able to be presented in that Events homepage style? Or is it more designed for actual events (in-person or zoom call style)? I think it would make certain upcoming game anniversaries (ie. X Years Since Pac-Man Released) and livestream events look really cool!

I know other services like Twitch was mentioned in the Q&A (which is great because I’d love to see Twitch and YouTube Live be integrated into this), but would Discord also be a consideration? We have a Discord server and it would be awesome if we could integrate it with our IPB site so that any Events we post on the IPB would be automatically reflected in our Discord server (and maybe vice versa , but not necessarily).

Thanks for putting this video together!

11 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

I love the new Events front page, would this replace the current Calendar view at all?

Yes.  This basically reworks the existing calendar app.  

12 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Also, my community tends to use the Calendar feature as more of a release date/anniversaries feature for certain products (games, comics, etc) so would those sorts of calendar events still be able to be presented in that Events homepage style? Or is it more designed for actual events (in-person or zoom call style)? I think it would make certain upcoming game anniversaries (ie. X Years Since Pac-Man Released) and livestream events look really cool!

When you create the event, you choose if it is in-person or virtual.  You can also make an event an all-day event without providing a link to a streaming event.  

IPS is doing this on this site with the days their offices are closed for holidays for example.  

🙂 

I would've loved to watch this live guys but due to the time difference I couldn't make it. Really good webinar and I can't wait to see more!

I just noticed a future event, Private Messages for 21 October 2022, has a start date and time in reverse. Not sure whether this is just on my end due to the time difference, but I thought I'd highlight it. Other events are displaying correctly though they don't start and finish on different days.

Could contain: Flyer, Advertisement, Paper, Poster, Brochure, Burger, Food, Person, File, Text

It is displaying in the same way on the Upcoming Events block.

Could contain: Text, Page

Edited by Prosperous

Hello,

Can events in the calendar be user-group specific? I want to use the events, but I want to schedule different events for different user groups. 

Each user group has different privileges to discuss specific topics in my community. I cannot organize an event for everyone because those who do not belong to user group X will not understand what is being explained to other user groups with higher privileges.
Is that even a possibility? I can't see that.
Thanks

Edited by OptimusBain

On 10/11/2022 at 3:39 AM, Randy Calvert said:

I reported the event...  but this also seems like a bug where an event can be set to end before the start date/time.

It looks like that was actually just an issue with the item that was created. Fixed that 🙂 

1 hour ago, OptimusBain said:

Hello,

Can events in the calendar be user-group specific? I want to use the events, but I want to schedule different events for different user groups. 

Each user group has different privileges to discuss specific topics in my community. I cannot organize an event for everyone because those who do not belong to user group X will not understand what is being explained to other user groups with higher privileges.
Is that even a possibility? I can't see that.
Thanks

If I understand you correctly, can you got do this by creating multiple calendars? You can then apply permissions as you need to those calendars

Nice enhancement of Events! 

No good deed goes unpunished 🙂 In this peri-pandemic era many of our dog club events (primarily member, board, and committee meetings) are both in person *and* call-in.  Love to be able to list those events in both categories.

I have one site where the location-based search could become terrifically useful. On the regional dog club site our use case is probably an outlier; location-based searching for events is not terribly useful for us. Pretty much by definition our service area is the location for everything we promote. I'd probably disable or maybe trade the right-side location search block for a second (or scrolling, dream big) featured event block —  but that's just the one site 🙂  

Either if neither of those is feasible, still like the update. 👍

Edited by bradl

• Management
2 hours ago, bradl said:

No good deed goes unpunished 🙂 In this peri-pandemic era many of our dog club events (primarily member, board, and committee meetings) are both in person *and* call-in.  Love to be able to list those events in both categories.

Good point. We didn’t consider hybrid events 🙂