Invision Insight: Gallery is upon us!

Welcome to this week's Invision Insight!

The Team have been hard at work finishing up the Gallery refresh, which is now available for testing (more on this later).

I am in the process of drafting up a new edition of community tips; publishing date yet to be confirmed. I do hope these are helpful not only to those communities that are starting out, but also to the larger and more established communities out there that are looking for ways to adapt and grow. If you haven't yet read the blog entry, I have linked to it below. If you have something you would like me to write about specifically or have subject matter you'd like me to talk about, then by all means let me know. I am always open to your suggestions. 🙂

New Version

We have released a new beta version of Invision Community, 4.7.7 Beta 3, moving us one step closer to the stable February release.

As with all beta releases, upgrading your community is at your own risk. Please make sure you backup before pressing that button! There are also some changes affecting third party developers and designers to take note of.

Never tried out a beta before? We've got you covered. 😉

Cloud

If you are a Cloud client, you would firstly enter your Client Area and click on Manage this purchase, scroll down the page and click on Yes, I would like to opt-in to beta releases.

Go to your AdminCP -> System -> Applications and click on Check for Updates, and the beta version will become available for you to upgrade in the normal way you would perform any other upgrade. Your community will show you all future betas while that line is in the constants.php file. You can opt out once you no longer wish to use beta versions in the same way.

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

Self-hosted

If you are a self-hosted client, there are two ways to currently do this. One option is by using the automatic upgrader, the other is manually.

1. Automatic Upgrader

Backup your community.

Create a constants.php file if you haven't already done so (use the guide below for assistance).Add:
    <?php
    define( 'USE_DEVELOPMENT_BUILDS', TRUE );

Then go to your AdminCP -> System -> Applications and click Check for Updates, and the beta version will become available for your to upgrade in the normal way you would perform any other upgrade. Your community will show you all future betas while that line is in the constants.php file. You can opt out once you no longer wish to use beta versions by simply removing the above code from your constants.php file.

2. Manual

Backup your community.

Enter your Client Area and click on Manage this purchase, scroll down the page and click on Yes, I would like to opt-in to beta releases. Under the usual Download Invision Community button, there is a download x.x.x Beta x (pre-release) link. Download and upload those files and perform a manual upgrade from '/admin/upgrade' in your browser.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Text

I cannot stress enough to PLEASE backup your community if you intend to run betas on a production community.

Gallery

After last week's announcement of the new-look Gallery, we have officially opened up testing to our community!

Follow the topic below to stay in the loop and give it a go yourself.

Upcoming Event

Our February 2023 Release Chat is scheduled for next week. @Charles will be front and centre discussing all the latest features due in our next release. Lock in the date and make sure you tune in!

Changelog

Here's what the dev team have been working on over the last seven days:

Core

- Fixed an issue where club areas may link to the wrong location.

Forums

- Fixed Solved Statistics throwing an error on some MySQL / MariaDB versions.
- Fixed an issue where building search index permissions could fail.
- Fixed an issue where topic hover previews would display "Guest anonymous" instead of the anonymous placeholder text.

Downloads

- Fixed an issue where embedded free files were being displayed as not available for purchase.
- Fixed an issue in the downloads-file REST API endpoint where purchasing a file could result in an error.

Gallery

- Fixed an issue where albums not in a club could be set to allow submissions from anyone in a club.

Events

- Fixed an issue where a user who responded "Maybe" could attempt to RSVP to an event after the RSVP limit was reached.

Commerce

- Fixed an issue where invoices from guests may not be marked as paid after a successful transaction.

Changes affecting third-party developers and designers

- Added constant '\IPS\SITEMAP_MAX_PER_FILE' to define the maximum number of entries in a sitemap file.
- '/core/members' REST API response for 'photoUrlIsDefault' is now 'true' for letter photos.

See you in the community and next week right here for another Invision insight! I look forward to hearing from you all!

Thank you everyone! 🦘

2 hours ago, Afrodude said:

@Gary and @Stuart Silvester I don't know where to report this because the release notes used to have a report button. 

There's a duplicated sentence in the newest release note.

Additional Information
Core

Fixed an issue where dropdown menus would be treated as a link if child items in the main navigation.

Fixed.

4 hours ago, Afrodude said:

@Gary and @Stuart Silvester I don't know where to report this because the release notes used to have a report button. 

There's a duplicated sentence in the newest release note.

Additional Information
Core

Fixed an issue where dropdown menus would be treated as a link if child items in the main navigation.

Thanks for letting us know. 🙂