How to download a database off a Invision Website

Hello Invision Community, 

I am interested in downloading a different websites Database for its content, how would I start to do so?

I understand that there may be compatibility issues too. The site I am thinking of is definitely using an older version of IPB. 

21 minutes ago, Kirill Gromov said:

You can download it from the database list page.

Could contain: Page, Text

Not entirely correct. That will download the structure, not its contents

35 minutes ago, Shawn RR said:

Hello Invision Community, 

I am interested in downloading a different websites Database for its content, how would I start to do so?

I understand that there may be compatibility issues too. The site I am thinking of is definitely using an older version of IPB. 

There is no way in which to export and import a  pages databases content. But Im suspecting here you may not actually be referring to databases as in the pages application, but rather the invision platform itself? If so, you would need to use the converters for that, and would need to upgrade that other site to the latest release to use these.

14 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Not entirely correct. That will download the structure, not its contents

There is no way in which to export and import a  pages databases content. But Im suspecting here you may not actually be referring to databases as in the pages application, but rather the invision platform itself? If so, you would need to use the converters for that, and would need to upgrade that other site to the latest release to use these.

I am talking about a Pages database of a separate IPB that I do not own - but it would probably need to go through a converter, this part is true. 

If Website A is on older IPB 4, has no activity on the website but a trove of data around plants. 

Can Website B download this database on plants? convert the database and use it on their own site.

In admin panel I see also that the actual 'records' would not be available only the structure? So if the above scenario was possible, the individual records of fauna would not be available but only the categories and additional fields? 

Edited by Shawn RR

On 2/29/2024 at 5:40 PM, Sonya* said:

If you do not own it, you can scrape the content. If there is a copyright, it is illegal.

This will probably be the interim solution, its not copyrighted data or anything like that. An older site simply has more information regarding flowers, types and species but it is harder to navigate and dated in design. The site also has traffic but no activity, no posts in the last 7 years. As I can't just join staff as the contact form goes to a email address that doesn't exist (tried and email was bounced back) the other solution was to shoot a question here to see if its do-able!