I want to use commerce for apparel, but feel stuck

Jordan Miller

Hey fam, 

I have a bunch of designs for apparel for my website. I used to use Shopify to power my store. It was connected to Printful. SUPER convenient because when someone would place an order in my store via Shopify, it would send a notification to Printful and everything was handled: printing, shipping etc.

I would love to have my store hosted on my forum (Shopify cost me around $75 a month to use). When someone places an order, Printful gets the order and the fulfillment process begins.

Currently, there is no Printful x IPB integration.

Wondering... what do you guys do for commerce products? Do you handle it all? Outsource? Curious, because I just don't have the resources or time to be doing that (which is why Printful was so perfect for me). 

Love to hear what you do.

Related:

Commerce only makes sense if you really have the products yourself. 

For my print-on-demand products with external fulfilment, I just show them as banner ads or through a dedicated static “merch page” with pictures and links to the external provider. If it’s handled externally, I don’t see a problem to make that clear to the users and send them there directly. It might even help with the sales if it’s a well-known provider of merch. And the customers will instantly understand that this provider will handle returns with them and not come to me for complaints. 😉 

2 hours ago, opentype said:

Commerce only makes sense if you really have the products yourself. 

For my print-on-demand products with external fulfilment, I just show them as banner ads or through a dedicated static “merch page” with pictures and links to the external provider. If it’s handled externally, I don’t see a problem to make that clear to the users and send them there directly. It might even help with the sales if it’s a well-known provider of merch. And the customers will instantly understand that this provider will handle returns with them and not come to me for complaints. 😉 

100% and to be honest I'm leaning towards opening my Shopify store again. I was just trying to save myself a $75 a month bill, but you get what you pay for! The ease could potentially generate far more than $75 a month for me if done right. I was also kinda hoping just to keep everything in my IPB site and not link to an external site but perhaps that's not the best bet for me at the moment. Appreciate your insight. 🙏 

• 3 years later...

@Jordan Miller

Regarding the Printful plugin, I assume it's officially abandoned. I actually purchased it when it first launched. I still use Printful to this day on my main site, which is Wordpress/WooCommerce based. Do you know if there is anyone else that make a new Printful plugin? A reputable developer? I would still be interested in integrating it directly onto my forum.

Thanks.
Could contain: Page, Text, Person, File, Face, Head