Data Integrity Updates

• Management

This is one of those behind the scenes improvements that you do not know happen but we still like to tell people about.

All media that is uploaded to your community (images, videos, any sort of files) is now automatically replicated to a write-only backup within 5 minutes of upload. This means that backups of your media are basically continuous now.

This part is not new but as a review.... For databases, we have two levels of backups: daily and weekly. Our daily snapshots are for catastrophic recovery and are extremely robust as they are replicated internally. The weekly backups are what I call "convenience backups" which might sound strange but let me explain.

The weekly backups are not as robust as the daily snapshots but they are more easily restored. This allows our team to easily diagnose issues, assist you with recovering accidental deletions/configuration issues, and compare today to last week/month (we store several weeks for recovery purposes before old backups purge). We find having these two types of backups lets us be more agile in restoring service for both "major" events and "whoops" events.

As always with Invision Community, your data is your data. At any time you contact support and we can send you a full export of all community data for your archives.

On 3/8/2023 at 1:12 PM, Charles said:

This is one of those behind the scenes improvements that you do not know happen but we still like to tell people about.

All media that is uploaded to your community (images, videos, any sort of files) is now automatically replicated to a write-only backup within 5 minutes of upload. This means that backups of your media are basically continuous now.

This part is not new but as a review.... For databases, we have two levels of backups: daily and weekly. Our daily snapshots are for catastrophic recovery and are extremely robust as they are replicated internally. The weekly backups are what I call "convenience backups" which might sound strange but let me explain.

The weekly backups are not as robust as the daily snapshots but they are more easily restored. This allows our team to easily diagnose issues, assist you with recovering accidental deletions/configuration issues, and compare today to last week/month (we store several weeks for recovery purposes before old backups purge). We find having these two types of backups lets us be more agile in restoring service for both "major" events and "whoops" events.

As always with Invision Community, your data is your data. At any time you contact support and we can send you a full export of all community data for your archives.

I really appreciate the "your data is your data". I moved away from Facebook because simply I did not own the data, nor do they give admins much control... I have a group of 7k members and only a few months ago did they allow the @ everyone tag to actually reach your members. Which still only comes out to about 10% of my audience.

• 4 months later...