Jump to content
Holiday Closing (22nd & 23rd Nov) Read more... ×

Invision Community Blog


Managing successful online communities

Matt
 

How to brand your community in minutes

One of the advantages of running your own community is that you get to control the branding.

Branding is important as it defines and re-enforces your customer's experience. Branding also promotes recognition, it sets you apart from your competition and it provides motivation and direction for your staff.

Invision Community has many built in tools to change the look and feel of the community. If you are a savvy coder, you can dive right into the HTML and CSS templates to create truly unique themes. You might also look at an off-the-shelf theme from our marketplace. There are some great themes you can use as a base for your branding.

Easy Mode Editor

One tool that is often overlooked is the Easy Mode Editor. It's a great way to make some simple changes to reflect your brand's identity. It offers a great deal of control, but I want to show you how you can brand your community in just a few short minutes without knowing a line of code.

The presentation below takes you through creating a new Easy Mode theme, and using the Easy Mode Editor on the front end to dynamically change the colours. You'll also learn how to upload your logo.

slack-imgs.thumb.jpg.5bf39833d00da2e3b32097981d96e138.jpg

How to brand your community presentation

Email Branding

Another area to consider is outgoing emails. Invision Community leverages emails for notifications, as well as the bulk email system in the Admin CP. These emails look fine by default, but adding your logo and primary color re-enforces your branding.

The presentation below shows you the few simple steps needed to brand your emails.

slack-imgs-1.thumb.jpg.a9e393259544dc8f8e7b4fefe2c5a6b5.jpg

How to brand your emails presentation

As you can see, Invision Community offers simple tools to change the look of your community without knowing how to code.

We hope you find this useful. If you have any questions, please let us know below!

Edited by Matt


Comments

Recommended Comments

5 hours ago, jackflash said:

What if you want to make the background black?  What happens to the color of the fonts?

A dark site background (with a light content background) isn't possible due to inconsistent HTML in 4.2.x. Certain classes are missing on pages throughout the suite (particularly ipsBox and ipsPad) which means text isn't placed on the correct background.

This has been reported by numerous members and will hopefully be addressed in 4.3.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy Mode Editor doesn't allow you to change a color brightness. That makes it useless for me, unfortunately. Also, there are some elements which can't be recolored using Easy Mode Editor or affect other elements. Hope this will be improved in IPS 4.3.

As for me, I would really appreciate if IPS provide several default color schemes with a perfect combination of colors.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Color Picker needs some attention. I don't just want to click on some colors, I want to be able to add RGB values, HEX values etc.

Other than that I was expecting something about e-mail branding in 4.3, like the ability to add content from your community in the e-mail footer. I guess we will see that at a later time... :)

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MMXII said:

Other than that I was expecting something about e-mail branding in 4.3, like the ability to add content from your community in the e-mail footer. I guess we will see that at a later time... :)

"All emails generated by Invision Community can now contain admin-defined extra promotional text in the footer such as recent topics, Our Picks, and more"

 

Edited by SammyS

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SammyS said:

"All emails generated by Invision Community can now contain admin-defined extra promotional text in the footer such as recent topics, Our Picks, and more"

Like I said: ...I was expecting something about e-mail branding in 4.3, like the ability to add content from your community in the e-mail footer. I guess we will see that at a later time...

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2018 at 5:10 AM, MMXII said:
On 1/27/2018 at 8:26 AM, SammyS said:

"All emails generated by Invision Community can now contain admin-defined extra promotional text in the footer such as recent topics, Our Picks, and more"

 

Like I said: ...I was expecting something about e-mail branding in 4.3, like the ability to add content from your community in the e-mail footer. I guess we will see that at a later time...

What part of the bolded portion above do you not consider "content from your community"? Recent Topics, Our Picks, etc. are all content that would be coming from your community...

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

What part of the bolded portion above do you not consider "content from your community"? Recent Topics, Our Picks, etc. are all content that would be coming from your community...

But this very blog post isn't about the new possibilities to add community content to email footers. It is solely about branding emails with options that are already available in IPS 4.2.x. I am not saying there is something wrong with that. All I said was "I was expecting something about e-mail branding in 4.3"... like actually seeing how this works in the new 4.3 update (since we have all those 4.3 preview blog posts right now). That's all. I know that we will be able to add extra promotional content to the footer.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 10:49 AM, MMXII said:

But this very blog post isn't about the new possibilities to add community content to email footers. It is solely about branding emails with options that are already available in IPS 4.2.x. I am not saying there is something wrong with that. All I said was "I was expecting something about e-mail branding in 4.3"... like actually seeing how this works in the new 4.3 update (since we have all those 4.3 preview blog posts right now). That's all. I know that we will be able to add extra promotional content to the footer.

Ah, OK - you wanted some examples how this may have changed or improved in 4.3. Makes sense.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  Ask A Question ×