WebP Support Deployed

• Management
55 minutes ago, Brian Garcia said:

Great! There are some hosts that provide automatic conversion service to .webp, it's server side. Some CDNs, too like Cloudflare can do this. Would love to see that as an added perk for a cloud user.

Would love to see .SVG support for the site logo next.

We can certainly do that but have always been wary of altering user generated uploads without a reason.

1 hour ago, Charles said:

We can certainly do that but have always been wary of altering user generated uploads without a reason.

Long term, one of the things I'm hopeful IPS will consider is automatic image optimization.  This would help reduce bandwidth and storage utilization, AND how much IPS needs to pay AWS each month.  It could improve the user experience by resizing the image based on the device itself needs.  (For example, a desktop might get the full size image...  but a mobile device might get sent a file that is 1/3 the size.)

Edited by Randy Calvert

On 3/24/2023 at 10:37 PM, Randy Calvert said:

Long term, one of the things I'm hopeful IPS will consider is automatic image optimization.

I agree 100%. Same with video. 

Nowadays a lot of people don't bother taking a screen capture on their computer, they just take a photograph (or video) of their screen with their phone and upload that. They're huge files and I constantly have to convert them manually.