Our take on managing successful online communities

Matt

4.4: Animated GIFs

Communication has come a long way since those very early humans grunted at each other to determine if they wanted more mammoth for lunch.

The course of human history has seen cave paintings, hieroglyphics, the written word, emoji and now GIFs.

GIFs have been around since the dawn of the internet. Many websites proudly displayed a 'man at work' animated GIF when they were under construction.

Now, GIFs are now mostly used to express complex thoughts and emotions by showing a short animation.

giphy.gif

Mind Blown

Invision Community has allowed GIPHY to be used as an embed for a while now, but we craved something much more straightforward.

Behold, the GIF button!

Now your members can reply with the majesty of animation.

Of course, GIFs won't replace real and meaningful conversation, but they are a fun way to express yourself quickly and encourage more engagement.

The GIPHY functionality is enabled via the 'Community Enhancements' page in the Admin CP.

giphy2.thumb.jpg.883975b8dfa31ba08ba3e9861ed860e7.jpg

GIPHY is enabled from the enhancements page

All you need to do is grab a key from GIPHY, and you're all set!

giphy1.thumb.jpg.57aa3c1c8737dbbb7b33c466c38b4af5.jpg

Configuration

You'll notice a "MPAA style rating" option.

This allows you to select a maximum rating for the GIFs as some will have adult themes and language that may not be suitable for your community.

For example, you can choose "G" for general audiences, "PG" or "PG-13" to limit what is shown.

giphy.gif

Drop your favourite GIF below to show us how you feel about this new feature.

This is a blog about our upcoming Invision Community 4.4 release, due later this year.

Edited by Matt

Comments

With all due respect, but if you guys told us that you would be introducing a media manager where we could reuse images for articles etc, then I would be inclined to get a bit more excited.

God knows how much server space I have wasted uploading the same images over and over again, when I could have uploaded it once and reused it over and over again.

Couldn't care less about the GIFs, but this one is exciting:

due later this year

Edit: OK, let me express my emotions about this post with gif as requested:

giphy.gif

Edited by jair101

8 hours ago, TDBF said:

You can do this since 3.X (at least) actually. In 4.X this option is hidden under "Insert other media" button.

image.png.134c5a5320a0cefdc33a6ee72905f528.png

Two questions:

1. Can you add an option to stop auto animating gifs? If somebody wants to see - he can click for watch it. Like videos.
  2. When you create an ability to load heavy content (images, gifs, etc) inside spoiler only after it opened? We still have users who have limited internet traffic. They very hate other people, who posted big pictures and those gifs. And they hate us because we didn't block autoloading heavy content inside spoilers.

I think these two features are better than one more simple integration. Looks like a plugin, no more. I'm sorry. Just want to make attention to the more real communities pain connected to the current announcement.

Edited by Upgradeovec

When you announce a new minor feature in an upcoming software version and people just post the other stuff they'd like.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Upgradeovec said:

Two questions:

1) Nope, you can't take my animated GIFs from me! (But you do not need to enable GIFs, that's up to you)
2) You'll like a blog entry we have coming up soon.

34 minutes ago, The Heff said:

I feel like

giphy.gif

about GIFs, because my users are

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Mr 13 said:

image.png.134c5a5320a0cefdc33a6ee72905f528.png

Cheers, I already know about this, but the images uploaded are not available to other members or groups of my choice.

There is already a Media manager in CMS which could (if given a bit more TLC) allow groups or members with permission to upload images, which then could be reused in CMS and other applications such as Calendar etc. At the moment I have a group of writers uploading duplicate images for Articles/Blogs/News and Promotions etc because they don't want to use their own personal image upload space.

1 hour ago, princeton said:

I think this is a great feature. I love ideas that allow members to express themselves differently from the norm.

In this mobile world, GIPHY is needed.

giphy.gif

On 10/3/2018 at 2:18 AM, Upgradeovec said:

Two questions:

On 10/3/2018 at 3:44 AM, Matt said:

That's unfortunate it's set up as all or nothing. Slap a Freezeframe.js in there. There's good reasons FB, Twitter, etc do this.

Edited by David T. Cole

On 10/3/2018 at 2:18 AM, Upgradeovec said:

Two questions:

I think a "play on hover/tap*" feature for GIFs would be great from a UX perspective, but also from a performance perspective - no endlessly looping GIFs slowing down browsers or mobile devices.

*for mobile since there is no hover

In fact, here's how: https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/on-click-animated-gif/

Edited by Joy Rex

I find animated GIFs are uniformly irritating. Fortunately the wonderful IPS software allows us not to host them. I actually cannot bear to read some of Invision Community's own blog posts/articles because of the animated GIFs included in them.

Simply terrible.

- but hey, if it floats your boat...

Which reminds me, as one user somehow managed to post today.

How do you stop GIFs being also being loaded remotely from another site? (i.e. just banning GIFs site-wide.)