Our take on managing successful online communities

4.3: Express yourself with Emoji

Emoji: built in to Invision Community 4.3! ?

Invision Community has a long history. We remember the early days of forums, back when graphical "emoticons" or "smilies" were added.

We have always shipped our products with a basic set of emoticons with the ability to add your own images and has supported emoji from mobile devices.

Emoji has become a standard across mobile and desktop devices so it made sense to bring them to Invision Community fully.

You can choose from 3 different styles of Emoji:

• The native style provided by the user's operating system (if you choose this option, users on different platforms will see different styles)
  • Twitter style
  • EmojiOne style

Emoji.png

Emoji Settings

Once you have chosen one of these options, all of the available Emoji will show in the emoticons selector when making a post. Unlike in older versions, the entire list is scrollable (the categories drop down will jump you to the category rather than filter), you can search, and standard Emoji features like skin tone modifiers are fully supported, and of course, you can make them as big as you like.

Screen%20Recording%202018-01-10%20at%201

Navigating Emoji

Screen%20Recording%202018-01-10%20at%201

Skin Tone Modifier

Screen%20Recording%202018-01-10%20at%201

Make Emoji any size

Autocompleting Short Codes

In addition to using the selector, you can also use optionally enable standard :short_codes:. These will be autocompleted as you type.

Screen%20Recording%202018-01-10%20at%201

Autocompleting Short Codes

You can also enable more conventional ASCII emoticons to be automatically replaced too:

Screen%20Recording%202018-01-10%20at%201

ASCII Short Codes

Don't Worry: Custom Emoticons Aren't Going Anywhere!

You can use custom emoticons either instead of, or even alongside Emoji. If you give your custom emoticons a text replacement starting and ending with : they will even show in the autocompletion alongside Emoji.

Screen%20Recording%202018-01-10%20at%200

Custom Emoticons

Technical Details

Whichever style you choose, Emoji is stored in the database as the actual Unicode characters, so you can even change the setting and all Emoji, even those in existing posts, will immediately change.

If you choose to use the native style (so the Emoji will match the style provided by the operating system), the system will automatically detect which Emojis are supported and the selector will only try to show the ones the platform can render.

Comments

Is the upgrader taking care of conversion to utfbm4?

Up until now I was unable to convert via the link in ACP->Support and I wonder if I will be able to do it now.

Ok, I get the whole emoji thing....I hate it, but I get it.

<opinion>Ahhhh, emoji...after centuries of developing language, we've finally reverted to pictograms and the modern equivalent of cave drawings to express thoughts.</opinion>

<opinion2>Using emojis in email subject lines makes one look unprofessional and appears, well, dumb.  There.  My hat is now on the political arena.</opinion2>

Just now, liquidfractal said:

Ok, I get the whole emoji thing....I hate it, but I get it.

I find it rather poetic.  Early civilization wasn't advanced enough to develop language so they replied on cave drawings and pictogram.  Civilization is now so advanced that we don't use the language that we invented, we just send digital cave drawings to each other.

IPS is now the Pinnacle of human achievement.

22 minutes ago, Joel R said:

IPS is now the Pinnacle of human achievement.

Well, once Oprah is President I'm sure Emoji will be made the official language of the UN.

6 hours ago, jair101 said:

Is the upgrader taking care of conversion to utfbm4?

The upgrader does not handle it automatically. If you are not already utf8mb4-reader, you will be prompted to do the conversaion before the system will allow you to enable Emoji.

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Will this help with people posting from an iphone and me seeing the little square instead of what they intended to display?

Yes, if you set your community to use either Twitter or Emojione styles.

4 hours ago, crmarks said:

Great work @Mark! I wonder if it might be possible to use native emoji but fall back to Twitter or EmojiOne for devices that do not natively support emoji?

Not currently, no. Detecting support is quite intensive on the browser (you have to make an invisible area and attempt to draw the emoji, and then check if it looks like a square or other symbol the platform might use to indicate a non-displayable character), so there would be a noticeable delay in rendering if a fallback approach was taken. Since the majority of modern platforms support Emoji, I would recommend using native unless your community's demographic is particular, or if you prefer the style of Twitter or Emojione.

3 hours ago, BomAle said:

❤ are them translatable?

Not through the normal translation system (there's a lot of Emojis) but all the data is contained a single json file which you could replace with a translated version and it would work.

Yeah, I should say very nice work @Mark.  Although I think emojis tend to do for human communication what Jim Jones did for kids' flavoured drinks in the 1970s, these updates won't be for me but for my users, and I admire the work you've all put into what looks to be a major update to the suite in terms of platform and social media integration.

The best part is the shortcodes with the preview! :killer:

Personally I am no huge fan of neither Emoticons nor Emoji, but I guess those are symptoms of our times... -- and many people will like them. Good job!

9 hours ago, Archimed said:

We can use differents categories ? Keep the category that all members know and add the others new that you did ?

Yep! When you enable Emoji, the normal Emoji categories (Smileys & People, Animals & Nature, Food & Drink, Activity, Travel & Places, Objects, Symbols, Flags) just get added - the system for setting up categories for your own custom emoticons hasn't changed and they'll be retained alongside the Emoji categories.

In all the screenshots in the blog entry, I have one custom category, called "Default".

6 hours ago, liquidfractal said: