Our take on managing successful online communities

Matt

Team Talk: What is the geekiest thing you do in your spare time?

We, at Invision Community, love nothing more after a relaxing day writing PHP code, making commits in git and fighting with jQuery to indulge in a little therapeutic "me time".

Given that we've all chosen to work in a nerdy industry (nerds are cool now, we checked) it's no surprise that our down time is spent on nerdy pursuits.

Here's how our team spent their allotted and begrudgingly given free time.

Ryan (Developer who loves of loud noises)
I'm an audio nerd. I go out of my way to hand pick each individual component whenever I'm building a an audio system. My computer, for example, currently has 4 satellite speakers (two Bose, two DCM models which are no longer in production - what is a shame, they are better than any I've ever had), and a sub-woofer (Bose). My living room system is my pride and joy - everything currently runs through a Sony 7.1 channel surround sound system, with a Polk Audio center channel, two Kenwood JL series tower speakers (before JL Audio was it's own thing - each contain a 1.5" tweeter, 5" Midrange, and 12" Subwoofer), two side-surround satellites that need replacing, and will soon have two rear-surround Bose satellites. Each system has specifically been fine-tuned and equalized to my specification.

(Editor: I'd be happy with a HomePod)

The same applies to my guitar amps - I've spent years fine-tuning my amps to perfection, and constantly adjust and tweak various settings to get different sounds.

giphy.gif

Still not loud enough, we checked

Jennifer (Designer who loves board games)
As everyone likely knows I do a lot of pretty nerdy things, from cosplaying to video games to play by post roleplaying (collaborative writing) to collecting nerdy-shirts and playing board games but I think one of my more nerdy things would be that I collect socks and intentionally mismatch them (aka I'm Bi-sockual). I collect socks of all shapes and sizes to have for any occasion including socks with capes, leg warmers and more. I have a pretty nerdy collection including a ton of super hero socks, some Power Puff girls and more.

(Editor: Socks with capes. What a time to be alive)

image.thumb.png.7b2bcaadb80f35782018a67b0c8ff2d0.png

These are clean, we checked

Daniel (Developer who loves amusing English words)
It all started several years ago as a present.. I fall in love with this hobby and got some nice trees from my ex-wife. The collection grew and grew.
That's my "poor mans" bonsai collection.. I once trashed a 1000€ plant, then I sold all other which were worth more then 500€ except one and now I just have these left, but it's enought to keep me busy... and to not cause any sadness if something happens to them...Now i really enjoy trying to create my own stuff instead of taking care of bought stuff.

(Editor: Daniel is hands down the most interesting person I've ever met)

5a904106b5dc3_image(1).thumb.png.414b38b72917dbed1fce525572c06d4d.png

These are legal, we checked.

Brandon (Developer who loves movies)
I haven't done one in a while, but I like to have movie marathons sometimes. For instance, I'll plan to sit down one day and do nothing but watch Star Wars movies (or Harry Potter, or LOTR or whatever) all day in order. You then have to make the ever important decision of putting the prequels first, or after the originals, but otherwise it tends to be a fun experience watching the continuity from one distinct movie to the next (or, alternatively, looking for broken continuity). When I do this, we tend to eat popcorn, milkshakes and candy for lunch and dinner. Most of my family cannot sit still that long and will just bounce in and out during the marathon.

(Editor: I'm in, when do you want me to pop over?)

anigif_sub-buzz-13694-1498475025-9.gif

Spongebob lives under the sea, we checked

Marc S (Tech who loves things that crash)
I guess other than coding, the nerdiest thing I do is watch Formula 1 racing. Whilst this doesn't seem that nerdy, I do go a little overboard with it (as my wife reminds me regularly). This should give you a bit of an idea.

At present we are approaching pre season testing. For those not familiar with formula 1, this is a testing phase before the new season, for teams to test their new cars. This means that the new cars are just being shown to the world for the first time. I will watch for these to see them as soon as they come out, then will take a look at what new parts I can see on the car in comparison to last year. Today for example saw the first glimpse of Mercedes, and at 3pm Ferrari will show off their new car online.

In addition to that, I've been looking at the stats from last year, along with the know changes this year in engines. I have my own analysis of who I think will be the winners and losers, through the changes from last season in drivers, engine suppliers, and even paddock staff.

Testing starts on the cars on Monday in barcelona. Whilst this is not on TV, I will be keeping myself updated with the latest events on there. My daily routine whilst testing is on consists of.

Testing live stream running throughout the day during testing
Teds notebook in the evening - An show which analyses the days testing
F1 show - Another show which analyses each days testing
Autosport review - Article online with analysis
Sky news site - Usually some good analysis on there
BBC Sport - Again, some good analysis and different points of view
Motorsport.com - Pretty good website for analysis
And of course the formula 1 website itself.

Boring to many (Editor: yep), but I guess everyone has to have a hobby. For me its formula 1 analysis. Would love to have a go in one, but to do so it hugely expensive! (Editor: given your history with crashing things, you'd never get insurance)

giphy.gif

John Woo directed this clip, we checked

Andy (Developer who loves to follow instructions)
Following a recent project we worked on for LEGO, I rediscovered a love for the brick with the Saturn V. Since then I’ve also started a nice little collection of cars including the incredibly geeky 2704 piece Porsche 911 GT3 RS with functional PDK gearbox and the VW campervan. My family bought me a few more sets for Christmas and I’m toying (no pun intended (Editor: Puns are my thing, it's the only job I have left)) with building a city with the larger modular sets. I’d say that was fairly geeky but I really enjoy the downtime of sitting down and building. I’m not terribly creative so following a set of instructions and seeing things come together appeals to me more than free building.

5a93e37a68e5d_F0BduBGTFSIr3uSZYAAg.thumb.jpg.fbd176c266eac0bb5e1997b06e01ba8c.jpg

Andy did build this, we checked

Right, that's enough of that, everyone back to work!

How do you spend your spare time? Let us know below!

Edited by Matt

Comments

I'm well past the 'geeky' stuff - anything that used to be considered geeky is now the norm.

But we (myself and my wife) have the Guinea Pig bug.....we've got 12 of our own. A herd of 4 indoors (the mixed group below) and outdoors a herd of 4 (the goldens/reds below) and 2 pairs of 2 plus we are also fostering 2 at the moment for a rescue we help with. If you'd told me 3 years ago that I'd be like this I would have laughed in your face.

image.thumb.png.e35ea0e36a0302b72324a69353be5408.pngimage.thumb.png.d06318c98ee47f1dc5eb52d14ef18203.png

5 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I had guinea pigs for a while many moons ago. They kept multiplying though (literally - we'd wake up one day and 3 more would be in the crate).

1 minute ago, bfarber said:

They only multiply if you don't take steps to stop it ;) Neutered boars = sorted.

46 minutes ago, cristian romero garcia said:

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, Urgentoo said:

Nice!

That's my second favourite biscuit.

5 hours ago, Vianney Gantelmi said:

I, personaly, spend time hammering my F5 button on your website, waiting for any new update about 4.3 ! :p

Haha, good answer.

6 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

They're so fluffy!

10 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Nominating these to be the official IPS Mascot of 4.3 because ... fuzzy cuteness.

Being a forum admin is actually my answer. I think most people in my day to day life would be surprised/confused that I know anything about linux/php etc. (although most wouldn’t have the faintest idea what any of those are). The rest of my life, including my career, is about as non techy as you can get.

I guess my most nerdy disposition is that I like to read through plans for and follow railroad projects closely. I'm a huge supporter of more rails transport!

Other than that it's mostly theatre (acting) and Netflix.

Edited by TSP

2 minutes ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

You've got me beat - I currently own about 13.

And... here I am with 2. But! I also have a drum set, an alto saxophone and a Bb clarinet. Maybe I should have contributed to this article.

Just now, Jim M said:

I would love a drum set - I'm not a good drummer, but it's really fun when you need to let off some steam.

1 minute ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

Mine is, showing it's age and I would not use it for any other means than having fun and letting off some steam.

On 27.2.2018 at 10:51 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

Yey! Didn't expect to find someone else here, I got also 10 pigs with my gf :p

26863236_405913423180011_3748163950005452800_n.thumb.jpg.e03a232f9bb43772ab6b7f8834f34e46.jpg27893790_2119293714958379_6585858501854101504_n.thumb.jpg.908828f12d077e814229a80816229469.jpg

And they got even Instagram :D

On 2/28/2018 at 8:54 AM, Ryan Ashbrook said:

Just daily exercise and life for myself. You could say I geek out on drums in a major way :) I'm also involved in the industry in small way.

If you like it all natural
gallery_2_1_147449.thumb.jpg.131caf4d624e52b97daf237aaa4665a1.jpg