Jordan Miller

New community manager tool: schedule topics

Community managers and moderators have a simple but powerful new tool at their disposal: scheduling a topic's future publishing date.

Previously, if a community manager wanted to draft a topic for a future release, they would have to craft the content elsewhere. It wasn’t the best experience. After listening to client feedback, we implemented a path for those with moderator privileges to create topics now, but have them go live in the future.

Set this new permissions setting in the Admin Control Panel -> Moderators -> Content -> Can set a future publishing date?

Notice the Publish date and time fields at the bottom:

Could contain: Text, File, Document, Page, Word, Webpage

Here are a few examples of when this would be useful:

Welcoming new members
A community manager can compose a topic welcoming members from that week, but set it to go live the next week. It’s a powerful, engaging and visible way to acknowledge new sign-ups. Pair this with our new Alerts System.

Anniversaries
Big day coming up? Create content around it now, but set the topic's publish date on the actual day.

Content calendar
If you are in charge of creating community content, budget a chunk of time towards creating engaging topics. Set their future publish dates apart so there’s space for members to engage accordingly. It also allows your team to visually see the content and weigh in with changes (or hoorays!) before members see it.

Related:

Announcements
Scheduling an announcement inside a topic, in tandem with our Announcements workflow functionality located in the Moderator Control Panel, allows community moderators to create space for feedback from loyalists.

Promo campaign
As a community manager, time is a commodity. Setting up a promotional campaign for a future product release sets you up for success. When planning intricate marketing projects, organization and editing are paramount. Setting a future release date creates space to ensure the messaging is clear and effective.

This feature, available for all Invision Community clients, is available in 4.7.1 Beta 1 (out now). View our release notes.

Thoughts? Let us know what you think in the comments (preferably now 😉).

Comments

• Management
5 minutes ago, 13. said:

😥

It would be better if the feature was available to certain groups, and not just moderators.

You can create a moderator that is a group and switch off everything except this permission. We felt it was better as a team tool than a user tool though.

Love this!

I would also appreciate this functionality with Support Request replies for cases where a reply can wait until the next morning, but you don't want to forget to do it either.  Just make the reply at midnight, but queue it up to post at 8am.   If there are any new replies before it posts, perhaps cancel sending it.  Just an idea that pertains to how we use the suite!

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Many of my users would love to have this feature, and it's obviously a very bad idea to make all users moderators just for the sake of one feature. I hope that you will change your mind and refine this feature, then it will become really useful. Thank you.

26 minutes ago, 13. said:

I second this - something at group level but definitely not restricted to Moderator.

Good feature. Is it just me hallucinating or their was add-on which did something like this in past/current state? Thanks!

Edited by AlexJ

It would be great that also posts inside a topic can be scheduled, I expected it in this new feature. Why also on posts?

My community have many forums with announcements for many subjects. It's a megaphone style forum where only the admin can speak.

I don't want to write a new topic on the very same subject every time, so having the ability to schedule a comment/post in a topic would be perfect. Thanks

17 hours ago, IPCommerceFan said:

Love this!

Nice idea! And appreciate the love.

6 hours ago, OptimusBain said:

Appreciate the feedback! I'm having trouble coming up with some examples of when you or your members should schedule a reply. 😅 Open to hearing ideas.

1 minute ago, Jordan Miller said:

It's not the members, but administrators and moderators that would schedule a reply. For instance, my community basically does financial analysis on stocks. There is a topic for each stock, thousands of topics. Every time there is an update, it will be a NEW post in the topic that corresponds to the stock. For instance, an update on Netflix stock, or on Facebook.

I want to schedule an update of the topic with a new post. That's not possible, I am forced to publish it immediately. These forums can only be updated by admins and moderators (not members), so it makes sense to have an option to schedule individual topics with new posts, not with a brand new topic. it's just the same subject but with an update.

I love the possibility of scheduling a new topic but my community hardly has any new topics unless they are questions. It's made of many forums and sub.forums with hundreds of topics, one for each individual stock, so it makes sense that admins have the possibility of scheduling a new post within the topic.

Thanks for reading.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:29 AM, 13. said:

That way you could also tie it to subscriptions if you wanted to...🙂

19 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

For example, if you are running a contest and the submission must close at a certain time. In this case, it would be great to be able to schedule a reply to be posted and a thread closed at a specific time.

Edited by 13.

Very useful! Thanks!

@Jordan Miller I feature a Question of the Week each Monday as an Announcement (pinned and highlighted).

So each week, I have to log in at 9am, unpin the previous Q and pin the new one.

Would it be possible to add a pin/unpin or highlight/cancel highlight on date xx/xx/xx time 00:00?

So that I can both write the post in advance and schedule the Announcement 🙂

Or am I missing something and it is already possible?

Could contain: Text

Edited by VahnPetit

Great feature.

I kind of implemented my own by using the API request I have a database on another server that every morning at 9am it will make a post to a specific forum posting a Function of The Day. which is a link to the help documents. I even created a user called Function Bot, who takes credits for posting we are on day 224.

Waited for that a long time, thank you so much! Will make my life easier 😉

Tried it today with 2 postings and it's great. But I've seen that the scheduled postings show up in the feed, also for normal users, even though it's set that they should just see postings where they have permission to it. But obviously that's not working for scheduled posting

When users click on the preview in the feed, they can't see the posting.

I now turned off the feed. If you could correct that, it's a really great feature!

On 8/2/2022 at 6:29 AM, 13. said: