I was fortunate enough to be invited to speak on the Expert Focus podcast, hosted by experienced community manager and public speaker, Claire Dowdall.
Claire has significant experience in managing and developing strategies for increasing Facebook Group engagement for high profile speakers and entrepreneurs, while my background is with independent communities.
This set us up nicely for a lively conversation to really pull apart what makes for a successful community, and what platforms to consider when starting out.
From Expert Focus:
In this episode, Claire gets behind the mic with Matt Mecham the co-founder of Invision Community which specializes in independent forums since it’s birth in 2002. Matt talks about an insurgency in brands needing independent forum services, the cause, and trends surrounding that. Claire and Matt talk about Facebook communities and how they don’t touch the depth that forums and other online communities can offer. Listen in to discover:
- What limits Facebook groups/communities?
- Why is there more passion and a stronger connection to community forums versus social media platforms?
- Why is personal metadata not as important on forums?
- What are the landscape and people like within different forums?
- What are the positives of being a part of or leading an online forum/community?
- What are the benefits of segmenting content to cause a sharper focus?
- Why you should care about your community and not just use it as sales funnel.
I really enjoyed speaking with Claire, and I hope you find a little time to tune in.
Edited by Matt