Another option for new users registering

Guest Vatoloco

I would like to see an option for registration where you can use "Pre-email Validation"

Basically what it would do is when a user clicks to register on your forums it just gives them a message to send an e-mail to newuser@yoursite.com and then when they send the e-mail Invision Board automatically responds with a link that lets them actually create the account.

You mean something like, a user clicks on register and the only field they get is for the email? Or would they also be required to click to agree on the terms of service as well?

I can see the benefits of where you are coming from but how about if the option is not create an actual account in the members list until that email is verified? That way, you get the user name desired, password, age (coppa that is), etc, but the account isn't added to the member list so that if the verification expires, it doesn't affect the user id numbers at all.

Reason I say that is because if COPPA is active on the board, then that would most likely be desired along with an agreement to the terms of service, not to mention the graphical number verification (ie, bot stopper). And if you are going to do that much, may as well get the desired user ID and password. :)

Although it would be nice to have COPPA and everything else on one page. When COPPA is active, then have it near the terms of service, in a big box where the person has to select a button for before/after.

Also would be nice if there was a button where the guest could click to see if the user name they want to use is valid/available or not. Actually, with scripting, if the person enters an invalid name, it could highlight the user name area to indicate the problem. But still would be nice to try a few names until you find one you like before going through the rest of the form.

:D

You mean something like, a user clicks on register and the only field they get is for the email? Or would they also be required to click to agree on the terms of service as well?

No, when they click to register they get nothing to fill out. There is simply a message that says something like this:

---
Thanks for your desire to register on our forums. To start the registration process please send a blank e-mail to newuser@mywebsite.com.

As soon as we receive your e-mail, we'll respond with instructions on how to complete the registration process. If you don't receive a response within a few minutes of sending your message, check your junk mail filters to make sure that you are not blocking messages from mywebsite.com.
---

When they click the unique link in the e-mail reply they receive it takes them to the registration page with their e-mail address already filled out and verified. Of course no account would be created until they actually filled out all the other fields and submitted it. "Pre-Email Validation" was the best term I could come up with to describe it. :)

Edit: actually, now that I think about it what you are saying with just having an e-mail field would work pretty much the same way. It saves the user the step of them having to send a blank e-mail first (which alot of average internet users might not understand).

Also there are some hosting configurations that might not let the forum accept emails directly (I can't imagine why though).

Perhaps..

Email address to validate? [-------------]

Format?  (*)HTML  ( )Plain text

Note: Only select HTML if you can view HTML formatted emails, if unsure then select to get plain text

That might be better, because then an HTML page could be sent with the fields to fill out along with a validation code (so the page could only be used once). That way they open the email, fill it out, submit and it saves the step of clicking a link and then filling the form out. :)

Also with (either) email, a disclaimer/terms of service could be sent mentioning that by signing up, they agree to the terms. Then an additional acceptance by having to check a box when finalizing their account.

:)

Yeah, that would be a good option with it. The only thing that it would definitely need is the flood control for bots (where you have to enter the graphical code).

I think "Pre-Email Validation" would be an awesome feature. Right now, I have over 400 members waiting to be validated and pruning is set at 30 days. There are alot of unsavvy visitors to my site. This would weed out all those accounts who can't even figure out a simple process. It would also save me alot of time in replying to all the people that e-mail me saying "I made a username but now it says I don't have access to post". Hmmm... I might just have to find someone that can make a mod!

Ok taking what I said and adding in your concern.. And of course, the method for registration and validation is always Admin selectable...

Email to send to:
Verify email:
Format: (*)HTML ( )Plain Text
[graphical display of numbers]
Enter numbers in the box above:
[Submit]

That'll cut down on the bots, make sure the email is correct and if the person can accept html emails, they could fill out the form and sign up in a 2 step process and already be validated.

I haven't looked to see if this is available yet, but it would be nice if it were to keep a record of all validations sent out (where to, when, validation code, member name, IP) then that way if someone signs up but then creates a few bogus accounts via fake emails, if they try to change the email address, you still have a record for comparison.

:)

Archived