Charles

New: Recommended Replies

This entry is about our IPS Community Suite 4.2 release.

Sometimes you may find situations where you want to highlight one or more replies to a content item to bring attention to a really great response. This is especially true on busy communities where you might have dozens or even hundreds of replies in a single discussion.

There is now an ability for a moderator to Recommend a reply (or multiple replies) and even leave an optional note explaining why they think you should view that post.

Example Topic - A Test Forum - IPS Community Suite 2017-03-08 16-18-51.png

Moderator Permission

Example Topic - A Test Forum - IPS Community Suite 2017-03-08 16-15-15.png

Optional note for recommended reply

When a reply is Recommended you will see a snippet at the top of the content item along with the optional moderator note and a link to jump right to that reply.

Example Topic - A Test Forum - IPS Community Suite 2017-03-08 16-15-44.png

A topic with a recommended reply.

You can Recommend more than one reply and this feature works through IPS Community Suite in forum topic, blog entries, gallery images, and so on. You can set this permission along with other moderator permissions in the AdminCP.

We really think this will allow moderators to bring attention to some of the best replies and guide users to the best content your community has to offer.

Comments

Sounds great!

Do not forget to add it as a filter in Acitivity Stream :)

Some additional ideas: Allow members to "Vote to recommend" and after X votes, the reply can be automatically recommended. I suppose @Kevin Carwile will make it available in the Rules app, but it would be nice to have it built in. The burden of selecting recommended posts shouldn't lie only on the shoulders of the moderators :)

Edited by jair101

Very nice and useful feature.  I could definitely see myself using this often.  There are many questions of a technical nature on my forum, and it would be great to highlight some of the better responses in such a thread (especially if it's lengthy).

My suggestion

It should be available for all members not just moderators as @jair101 said. I don't know if moderators have the time to read hundreds of posts, and recommendations based on ones opinion is pretty bad.

Should be based on likes, not a separate voting method

If this is intended just for staff is OK, but would like my suggestion too.:thumbsup:

Edited by amator

3 hours ago, jair101 said:

Sounds great!

Do not forget to add it as a filter in Acitivity Stream :)

I'm recommending this post.

13 minutes ago, amator said:

My suggestion

Should be based on likes, not a separate voting method

Isn't there already a popular feature for this?

I like this idea a lot -- it's refreshing to see a focus on manual curation above and beyond popular votes and algorithms.

2 hours ago, SammyS said:

It should be after the autor´s post, not before it

I like the idea of being able to put replies above the author's post in some circumstances. In other cases I would just also recommend the author's post.

3 hours ago, SammyS said:

It should be after the autor´s post, not before it

Recommended Replies shows on every page, not just the first page, so putting it after the first post would only make sense on the first page of a topic - it wouldn't work on other pages.

3 hours ago, Rikki said:

I see. I really like this new feature, but what if you recommend 2 or 3 replies? the first post would be under them. Something tell me it would not looks good

43 minutes ago, SammyS said:

So why not also recommend the first post?

2 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

So why not also recommend the first post?

That´s a possibility, but I think that would take away relevance and visibility from the rest of the posts

It's called Recommended Replies and not recommended posts or recommended topics, so IPS might have a good reason why they only highlight the replies.

With that said, I'm also curious how IPS will display multiple Recommended Replies at the top of every page.  That seems, at least to me, like a waste of space to see the same replies over and over again.

I like the idea of manual curation, but as some have pointed out, it would be better if users could also do this. However, to have some semblance of control, why not just have a threshold on the Likes where if it gets more than x number of Likes, it gets automagically™ promoted as a Recommended Reply?

That way you're not having to wait for Mods to promote something, and users can help curate good responses in a controlled manner.

I am not sure number of  "Likes" should be the main factor either. Like can mean "I acknowledge your post", like can mean "thanks for taking the time to answer", like can even mean "I am tired of arguing with you, you win".

None of these is equal to recommendation and what a like represents is very much dependent on context.

I'm generally not a fan of automation for this kind of thing because it soon becomes less about quality and instead about other things. Sure, you have lots of members -- so you should also have a decent number of moderators so that this doesn't become the mountainous task that some have said it could be.

As @jair101 said, a vote is a great idea -- but from vote to automatic recommend? No, disagree. At the very least it should be a switch:

• Yes/No // Voted replies become automatically recommended.

I agree, a mechanism to allow users to "up vote" posts and somehow highlight the highest voted posts would be interesting. There is already the "Like" mechanism, and that would be put into play. Anytime you have voting, though, you end up with people doing vote brigading, so it's not always ideal.