Users Homepage (Support)

Allows your members to customize which forums appear in their forum index homepage when signed in. Set which forums you would like to require, flag new forums and manually add new forums to members forum selections.

v1 Features

1. Each member can customize which forums appear on their homepage (index).
  2. Guest button that points to sign in page to encourage guests to sign up in order to customize their homepage.
  3. New forum flagging for forums that are added X days after creation. Shown both on the home page and selections page.
  4. Set which forums are required when customizing a homepage.
  5. Set which groups can not customize their homepage.
  6. Special prompt appears when a user visits a forum that is not in their homepage.
  7. Included link so members can peek at all homepage forums without saving.
  8. Member can disable homepage customization at any time and all forums will show as normal.
  9. Rebuild tool to manually add new forums to a members customized homepage.

On 18/3/2016 at 8:25 AM, Ocean West said:

ok seems like it had some issue with caching - I had my site setup for fileSystem caching - and in 4.0 there is no button that says "RE-CACHE"  took a while before any interface changes took affect. 

If you run into this again, try the manual cache rebuild in ACP > System tab > Support > Something isn't working correctly.

• 5 weeks later...
On 22/04/2016 at 5:23 AM, Ocean West said:

just fyi the "# NEW" indicator does not seem to respect the permissions model. I added a new Admin only category and forums but the count indicator is shown to others with out access to these places - giving 

Thanks, logged a bug report to be fixed next release. Will look for a patch if you needed this fixed sooner.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mike,  I have 2 suggestions for this products. However, take them as suggestions from my experience. I think they are worth considering. 

1. Can you make predefined selections or presets defined by the administrator ? in a combo box. So that the user could change the view at will but couldn't add custom forums. You could add the combo box in the homepage and main forum view and the user could swap presets using a combo.
   for example: you have a community with interests in pc and mac.  That a predefined selection could display the pc forums only and another preset the Mac forums only But the administrator decides in the preset which forums belong to each preset. You save work for the user and you also help the administrator. 

2. Can you add something more elaborated with a cookie for guests users ? same presets like before but they could be stored for the guest user of the web site. THis way a guest user that is only interested in mac, for example, would be able to set his view as a mac user.

3. [Minor Option]A small window to encourage guest user to select a preset. 

4. [Minor Option] Same combo box in the register page so the new users can select a preset by default for them from the beginning  

This is one of the features that I'm most interested and could make me upgrade to version 4.

On 17/05/2016 at 11:43 PM, gabs007 said:

Hi Mike,  I have 2 suggestions for this products. However, take them as suggestions from my experience. I think they are worth considering. 

Thanks, I've noted all suggestions to look at in future versions. I particularly like the predefined forums list idea and if you can offer any suggestions for how you would like to see the predefined selections seen, please do.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike,

I've purchased the Users Homepage plugin today, but I can't get it to install on IPB4.  It's probably me doing something wrong, but when I follow your install notes it says to use the .tar file but then I get a message saying its an invalid file format.  Could I get some assistance?

Thanks,

Samantha

9 hours ago, Samantha Smith said:

I've purchased the Users Homepage plugin today, but I can't get it to install on IPB4.  It's probably me doing something wrong, but when I follow your install notes it says to use the .tar file but then I get a message saying its an invalid file format.  Could I get some assistance?

When you download, do you see a zip file called "Messages"? If so, unzip that and you'll notice the file called gms.tar inside. That's the file you need to upload in the acp area to install the application. If your still having issues, I can install if you provide acp login details.

8 hours ago, Mike John said:

When you download, do you see a zip file called "Messages"? If so, unzip that and you'll notice the file called gms.tar inside. That's the file you need to upload in the acp area to install the application. If your still having issues, I can install if you provide acp login details.

Hi Mike.  I'm not getting a zip file called "messages" in the download (i've checked all the folders that come through when both the users homepage.zip and the homepage.tar files are unzipped).

12 hours ago, Samantha Smith said:

Hi Mike.  I'm not getting a zip file called "messages" in the download (i've checked all the folders that come through when both the users homepage.zip and the homepage.tar files are unzipped).

Apologies Samantha, was replying to a support topic for the Messages app and got the two mixed up. If you unzip the homepage.zip file, you'll see a folder called Users Homepage and inside that the homepage.tar file. You don't extract or open that tar file but rather import it in the acp applications area.

16 hours ago, Mike John said:

Apologies Samantha, was replying to a support topic for the Messages app and got the two mixed up. If you unzip the homepage.zip file, you'll see a folder called Users Homepage and inside that the homepage.tar file. You don't extract or open that tar file but rather import it in the acp applications area.

Hi Mike - happy to say the homepage.tar file has installed perfectly.  I'll start getting to grips with how the application works. 

Thanks for your help.

Samantha

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is going to do what i want. Because of how i have my forum set up. Would it be possible to get a demo account where i can configure how i'd want it set up? or try it out first before i buy. I just want to make sure it will do what i want. Made a few bad purchases in the past!

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2016 at 1:09 AM, Netherlord said:

I'm not sure if this is going to do what i want. Because of how i have my forum set up. Would it be possible to get a demo account where i can configure how i'd want it set up? or try it out first before i buy. I just want to make sure it will do what i want. Made a few bad purchases in the past!

PM Sent.

On 12/09/2016 at 5:36 PM, jair101 said:

Does this also respects the activity streams? I.e. if you hide forum from homepage, topics won't be visible in activity stream too? If not, maybe a nice suggestion will be to have an activity stream based on homepage created by the app. 

It shouldn't, only the homepage forums are altered. I'll note your idea and see what's possible next major version.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I really like this on a desktop browser, but on a mobile browser it's way too much of a screen hog. On the desktop version it fits in nicely with the Start New Topic sharing just 1 single line, but taking up 3 lines it becomes a burden to swipe past each time. Would it be easy for you to provide a modification to shrink this down to 2 lines, or ideally 1? Or to be able to place it at the bottom of the forums, not at the top?

Are you planning any update to 4.6 soon? I'd honestly rather turn it off until an update because of how much it affects the mobile users of my site at the moment.

I did end up modifying the buttons for Customize / Peek All buttons to be split buttons to combine them into one line instead of two lines. I think most people would appreciate if a future update did that as well.

I also removed entirely the "Start new topic" button from the regular and mobile view. For anyone else that wants to do this here is the code you can add to custom.css to remove the desktop view "Start new topic" and the mobile view of the "Start new topic" without disabling the header entirely (which would block this plugin's buttons as well):

body[data-pagemodule="forums"][data-pagecontroller="index"] .ipsPageHeader .ipsToolList_primaryAction{display: none;}
body[data-pagemodule="forums"][data-pagecontroller="index"] .ipsResponsive_hideTablet .ipsToolList_primaryAction{display: none;}

Also, the language reference for the mouse-over label for the Peek All tooltip has a typo.

1958522817_ScreenShot2021-06-20at1_49_03AM.png.e538c7c2986ea9a3f50359f9920552b0.png

Edited by Brainy S.
Added custom.css suggestion
  • 1 month later...