Error 500 after running "Something isn't working correctly."

CA3LE

I just ran "Something isn't working correctly." from the adminCP (attempting to correct a cache issue) and now my forum is throwing error 500.  Can anyone help?  Besides that small issue everything was running perfect before I initiated that process.

Here's from the system log, if this helps...

Wed, 28 Oct 2015 18:03:33 +0000 (Severity: 2)
68.180.228.XXX - http://testmy.net/ipb/profile/13746-zzzzlm/
ErrorException
2: mb_substr() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given
#0 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::errorHandler(2, 'mb_substr() exp...', '/home/publi...', 1196, Array)
#1 /home/public_html/ipb/system/Http/Url.php(1196): mb_substr(Array, 0, 2)
#2 /home/public_html/ipb/system/Http/Url.php(466): IPS\Http\_Url->utf8ParseUrl(Array)
#3 /home/public_html/ipb/system/Http/Url.php(313): IPS\Http\_Url->setUrl(Array, false)
#4 /home/public_html/ipb/system/Http/Url.php(225): IPS\Http\_Url->__construct(Array, false)
#5 /home/public_html/ipb/applications/core/extensions/core/FrontNavigation/CustomItem.php(156): IPS\Http\_Url::external(Array)
#6 /home/public_html/ipb/system/Theme/Theme.php(687) : eval()'d code(6298): IPS\core\extensions\core\FrontNavigation\_CustomItem->link()
#7 /home/public_html/ipb/system/Theme/Theme.php(687) : eval()'d code(4613): IPS\Theme\class_core_front_global->mobileNavigation()
#8 /home/public_html/ipb/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(149): IPS\Theme\class_core_front_global->globalTemplate('zzzzlm - TestMy...', '\n\n<!-- When alt...', Array)
#9 /home/public_html/ipb/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(101): IPS\_Dispatcher->finish()
#10 /home/public_html/ipb/system/Dispatcher/Front.php(504): IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->finish()
#11 /home/public_html/ipb/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(131): IPS\Dispatcher\_Front->finish()
#12 /home/public_html/ipb/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#13 {main}

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Gotcha, please submit a ticket if you haven't already as we'll need to look at this more in-depth then. Thanks!

@Jim M I did before posting this, I was just hoping that there might be an easy fix I was overlooking that someone here could point me to.  Hopefully I get a response on the support ticket soon.  I've run the "Something isn't working correctly." before 4.1 with no issues.  Didn't think it was a risk, otherwise I would have made a quick backup right before.  If there's a possibility of issues like this after running that tool, there should be a warning telling people to make a backup.  I was under the impression that it was doing checks and safe actions, not something that would disable my forum.

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

Just saw one like this so hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

Hey @Jim M any news on that similar issue yet?   Still haven't seen any activity on my support ticket and I'm just getting worried this is going to go into tomorrow now...

Tech Support Hours

Monday - Friday: 9am - 6pm EST
Saturday & Sunday: Closed

During off hours, technical support representatives are still available in our client area ticket system. Email and ticket support is staffed 24 hours a day for critical problems.

Definitely a critical problem, I have hundreds of thousands of pages down.

Just to go over it again:  No plug-ins or apps, default unmodified 4.1 theme... was working great after the upgrade until I ran "Something isn't working correctly." -- on the first step it mentioned that it cleared cached items.  Before moving to the next step I checked the site and the error 500 was present.  I feel like it must be something simple.  Possibly something in the database that it's removed that's not being re-created properly.

6 hours ago, CA3LE said:

Hey @Jim M any news on that similar issue yet?   Still haven't seen any activity on my support ticket and I'm just getting worried this is going to go into tomorrow now...

Definitely a critical problem, I have hundreds of thousands of pages down.

Just to go over it again:  No plug-ins or apps, default unmodified 4.1 theme... was working great after the upgrade until I ran "Something isn't working correctly." -- on the first step it mentioned that it cleared cached items.  Before moving to the next step I checked the site and the error 500 was present.  I feel like it must be something simple.  Possibly something in the database that it's removed that's not being re-created properly.

If your entire forum is getting the 500 error you should set the ticket to Client Critical. IPS support won't charge you if a bug is making your community unusable.

"Client Critical 
Please check this box if your issue is critical and causing your community to be offline or otherwise completely unusable. NOTE: Misuse of this feature may result in a $25 fee and/or the feature being removed from your account."

1 hour ago, Xelphos said:

If your entire forum is getting the 500 error you should set the ticket to Client Critical. IPS support won't charge you if a bug is making your community unusable.

"Client Critical 
Please check this box if your issue is critical and causing your community to be offline or otherwise completely unusable. NOTE: Misuse of this feature may result in a $25 fee and/or the feature being removed from your account."

I don't see an option for that.

Fixed it myself by resorting to a backup.  Which was pre-4.1 so I then had to re-upgrade...   There had been tons of activity since the backup so I THEN had to import topics, posts, members, PM's.. etc from the bad database.  After this I was able to run "Something isn't working correctly." without issues and my forum is back online.

One issue I encountered was in copying the 4.1 database immediately after the upgrade.  phpmyadmin would copy almost everything, it was off a hundred or so records, out of 2,239,100 and would never finish the process.  Looking at the processlist in mysql showed no more activity so I could tell it was done, it just never said done "copying database...".  Each time I would copy the database it would result in a different number of missing results, sometimes off by much more.  So I went with the copy that was missing the least amount of information.  Copying the copied database resulted in a successful copy.  

Everything appears to be resolved.  Hell of a ride.

On 10/29/2015, 2:05:00, AndyF said:

It looks like this:

Guess I'm not cool enough for that option.  I've been using IPS since 2010 and I've never seen that.  Maybe when they added the option they never added it on my account... and only newer accounts see that.  I'll have to open a ticket about and ask.

5634c6cec247a_ScreenShot2015-10-31at7.48

2 hours ago, CA3LE said:

Guess I'm not cool enough for that option.  I've been using IPS since 2010 and I've never seen that.  Maybe when they added the option they never added it on my account... and only newer accounts see that.  I'll have to open a ticket about and ask.

5634c6cec247a_ScreenShot2015-10-31at7.48

AFAIK its there by default and only removed if its misused or suchlike. I could be wrong though obviously. :) No harm in asking though in a ticket I guess.

Archived