Email notification settings change is needed

broni

I wasn't sure if it's just me so I created a poll here: https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/418094-poll-what-type-of-email-notification-do-you-prefer/

According to that poll ZERO members support current email notification settings:

SNAG-0000.thumb.gif.79295ac47bd2c603f02c

I must say that from all type of forums I'm active on IPB is the only one which uses "email notification for every reply" setting.

According to my poll results people would like to have more control over email notification settings (question #2) and the "email notification for every reply" could be scarped altogether as nobody supports it.

Keep in mind how happy your email server would be seeing its job slashed tenfold or more.

You're mistaken.

Since my previous reply I was not on this forum.

You replied twice and I got two email notifications:

SNAG-0001.thumb.gif.68274abd894114043d70

I just want one email notification even if there were 5 replies posted until I get back to that topic.

Normally when email notification is set to one notification per topic in that notification you'll see a note like this:

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

Unless I'm missing the point of what you're asking?

I want to be notified when new replies are posted but only once per topic.

So if in some topic I follow 10 replies are posted I want to notified ONCE not 10 times.

It's very simple. All boards except for IPB work like that.

I can't settle for daily notification because I help people with computer problems, especially malwares and I want to know when they reply.

I can't make them hanging out there for a whole day.

So you don't want an email notification after each new reply but you don't want a daily email notification. When should the email notification be sent?

Personally I would have thought if you're around and available to help then just clicking on new content would be a better system to use. That then saves any emails.

Some forums will send a notification for the first reply but not the following replies. Basically the idea is, "your topic has activity so log in and read the replies" and to not send you each reply. I believe vB does this. When you log in you reset it. It won't send again until you are offline, and again, only one. 

I want ONE email notification per topic no matter how many replies are posted there.

No I can't use "New content" because I'm active on numbers of boards and Im not going to check 10 boards every 5 minutes to see if anything new has been posted.

I'm not sure what is so hard to understand.

=============================================

One more time then.

Let's say I go to bed now.

I wake up tomorrow morning and between now and tomorrow there are 2o new replies in THIS topic.

I'll find 20 emails notifications about each reply.

I just want ONE notification not TWENTY.

One notification is enough for me to know that some replies have been posted. I'm not deaf so I don't need "Can you hear me now?" TWENTY times.

=============================================

Like chilihead said if you prefer his reply.

So the one email a day option isn't suitable then? Sounds like you want this option but with a further option of what time of day it gets sent to you so that you get it at a time convenient to you rather than whatever time the forum system does it.

chilihead understands as well as most people who voted in my poll and I can't explain it any better than I did already.

Since my previous posts there were three new replies.

I received 3 email notifications.

All I need is ONE to know that something happened in this topic.

I won't explain it no more.

It's been like this since 3.0 and since then I've been trying to suggest a change to make one notification per topic.

Email notification per every reply makes no sense at all. What's the purpose of it?

Clogged mail boxed and overworked mail server.

Here's the text from vB just to clear it up. ;)

Instant Email Notification - sends an email as soon as a new post is added to the thread. This is not sent for every reply and will only be sent once until you revisit the forums.

This is what he wants in IPS.

• Management

I wasn't sure if it's just me so I created a poll here: https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/418094-poll-what-type-of-email-notification-do-you-prefer/

According to that poll ZERO members support current email notification settings:

SNAG-0000.thumb.gif.79295ac47bd2c603f02c

I must say that from all type of forums I'm active on IPB is the only one which uses "email notification for every reply" setting.

According to my poll results people would like to have more control over email notification settings (question #2) and the "email notification for every reply" could be scarped altogether as nobody supports it.

Keep in mind how happy your email server would be seeing its job slashed tenfold or more.

You and the polls. :lol: We don't do anything based on polls, for what it's worth. The software isn't vote-driven and as ~5% of the userbase even visit, much less participate in the community, it's not a very good sampling. 

That said, on public communities (including this one), I don't do e-mail notifications. On our internal stuff, I do and I actually like e-mail per reply - it's handy when on the go and glancing through e-mail trying to catch anything important vs a one-off notification requiring you to visit the site. The setting referenced in vB was introduced at a time when when e-mail clients didn't support threaded discussions (based on your screenshot, it appears yours still doesn't, so maybe that's the crux of your issue. :lol:)

I don't think we're necessarily opposed to adding a setting to allow this and we'll give this consideration - but I'm not sure the demand value (scientific poll notwithstanding) is there. Daily and weekly digests are already an option as is disabling e-mail altogether. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Broni on this one. We've lost the 'offline' option we had in 3.x, and I'm at a complete loss to understand why. It surely can't be that hard to keep in 4.0, as it was already in 3.x. It's the option of choice for anyone who wants to know that there's something new, but doesn't want to have their inbox overloaded. Some clients might thread the conversations, but others won't. I might not mind my phone pinging to tell me there's new stuff to read in a certain topic, but strongly object if it does it for every post. And like Broni, I might not want to wait for a daily digest. Many of us will have limits on how many emails we can send daily from our servers...

Another issue is that users who currently have 3.x 'offline' subscriptions are being dumped into 'no email notification' when the site upgrades to 4.0 - those emails serve as prompts that get users signing into the site and participating. Those are now lost. That's terrible community management. Yes, we can tell them (how do we identify them, exactly? For anyone who's upgraded already, that info's tucked away in a backup) to log in and make the change, but how many will? We want to make it easier for members to participate in our communities, not present obstacles. 

If offline notifications are of so little value, why were they in 3.x? I ran a check on my database and it's by far and away the most popular option.

In other news, I do like double-clicking to change image size and alignment...

default.png

by topic.png

40 by topic.png

40 default.png

Another issue is that users who currently have 3.x 'offline' subscriptions are being dumped into 'no email notification' when the site upgrades to 4.0 - those emails serve as prompts that get users signing into the site and participating. Those are now lost. That's terrible community management. Yes, we can tell them (how do we identify them, exactly? For anyone who's upgraded already, that info's tucked away in a backup) to log in and make the change, but how many will? We want to make it easier for members to participate in our communities, not present obstacles. 

I would like to add my voice to consideration of restoring the current notification settings that in place for our 3.x subscriptions.  To presume that all of our members will eagerly and enthusiastically respond to an upgrade email from me, telling them to drop what they are doing, log in and suddenly become familiar with the new format and settings, instantly understand it, and reset everything that they can't remember how it was set before to their preferred settings is really pushing the envelope.

Why can't this just be an upgrade preference from 3.x to 4.x, if it is so complicated to include as default?

Archived