Topic custom fields - possible?

Kirill N

I want to be able to create custom fields for topics, just like records in Record image. For example, I want to have a field called "Source" for users to post a link to where they found the information they are posting. Also it would be cool to be able to upload a Topic image (like Record image) and display them in feeds. 

Is it possible?

Glad you asked. With the rules app installed:

Go to "Custom Data Fields" in ACP under the Rules menu

Add a new field and attach it to Topics (\IPS\forums\Topic). Choose the type of data it will save, such as a string.

You can optionally choose just specific forums for where topics will use the data field.

If you want regular members to be able to edit it then choose "Public" access. If only moderators, then choose "Administrative".

Choose the data input widget type, such as a full editor, textbox, url input, etc.

When you save the custom data field, you can set specific permissions for the member groups who can view and edit the data.

Save the field. Done.

Glad you asked. With the rules app installed:

Go to "Custom Data Fields" in ACP under the Rules menu

Add a new field and attach it to Topics (\IPS\forums\Topic). Choose the type of data it will save, such as a string.

You can optionally choose just specific forums for where topics will use the data field.

If you want regular members to be able to edit it then choose "Public" access. If only moderators, then choose "Administrative".

Choose the data input widget type, such as a full editor, textbox, url input, etc.

When you save the custom data field, you can set specific permissions for the member groups who can view and edit the data.

Save the field. Done.

Let me know when you leave something over for the rest of us please.

• 4 months later...

Bump. @Kevin Carwile's app is great, but it doesn't allow creating a file upload field.

Please consider this @Lindy

I think creating a Topic Image field would be an exteremely good idea. I know it may seem a little "out there" but really I believe it would benefit activity on all IPS forums. One of the biggest problems with the never-changing forum layout is that it simply lists topics and it's just text, which doesn't catch a viewer's attention. Topics with images would bring much more clicks and activity. As an example, take https://www.reddit.com which used to simply list text links as well, but has now added thumbnails and it clearly works for them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2015 at 8:58 PM, Kirill N said:

Bump. @Kevin Carwile's app is great, but it doesn't allow creating a file upload field.

Please consider this @Lindy

I think creating a Topic Image field would be an exteremely good idea. I know it may seem a little "out there" but really I believe it would benefit activity on all IPS forums. One of the biggest problems with the never-changing forum layout is that it simply lists topics and it's just text, which doesn't catch a viewer's attention. Topics with images would bring much more clicks and activity. As an example, take https://www.reddit.com which used to simply list text links as well, but has now added thumbnails and it clearly works for them. 

What do you think @Lindy?

• Management

We're watching this for further feedback. I personally feel it's niche-y. I do like reddit, but I find the images distracting, not attention grabbing (in a positive way.) 

I wouldn't discount it ever happening, but based on the minimal feedback - it seems it's likely better left to the marketplace. 

On 12/27/2015 at 11:46 AM, Lindy said:

I personally feel it's niche-y. I do like reddit, but I find the images distracting, not attention grabbing (in a positive way.) 

With all due respect, I think you're really, really wrong here. People on the Internet are getting lazier and lazier and prefer to have content given to them, rather than looking for it, this is why grabbing a user's attention is so important. 

I doubt there will be any more supporters of this because most IPS users hate change and are stuck in 2004. But I was kinda hoping you would see why this is a good idea because you've been doing a lot of great work on improving content discovery and user engagement, such as the Activity Stream (which let's be real -- everybody hated at first).

• Management
5 minutes ago, Kirill N said:

With all due respect I think you're really, really wrong here.

I doubt there will be any more supporters of this because most IPS users hate change and are stuck in 2004. But I was kinda hoping you would see why this is a good idea because you've been doing a lot of great work on improving content discovery and user engagement, such as the Activity Stream (which let's be real -- everybody hated at first).

https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7436-bim41-topic-thumbnail/

10 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Thanks Lindy, but I'd rather not use any plugins because most of the time they cause issues which can break the suite, or stop working after an upgrade etc. It also doesn't look like you can limit the size of the thumbnails, and even in the plugins demo you can see that the thumbnails are giant 2-mb images.

I hope you actually consider adding this as a native feature.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2015 at 3:25 AM, Kirill N said:

Thanks Lindy, but I'd rather not use any plugins because most of the time they cause issues which can break the suite, or stop working after an upgrade etc. It also doesn't look like you can limit the size of the thumbnails, and even in the plugins demo you can see that the thumbnails are giant 2-mb images.

I hope you actually consider adding this as a native feature.

For whatever it's worth, this developer makes GREAT stuff and is really attentive to customers. I can't even tell you how good this developer is. You will be amazed.

Archived