[suggestion] Blog Categories would be nice...

chilihead

Thought this existed. Was just planning how to use 4.0 blogs to their fullest. A lot of members in 3.4 use the forums for blog-style topics in certain sub-forums so want to get them to use blogs after the upgrade. Just noticed categories don't exist. That would be a nice addition. 

Yep, with permissions too. "All members (of a certain group) can create blogs in category X but not in any others". That would be useful for my site, where I'd like language-learners to have the option of running a log detailing their progress, asking questions etc, but where they're all collated and fit within the narrow range that a category would give them, rather than a blanket ability to create blogs and see all sorts floating around.

• 2 months later...

I suppose we could use the closed tag system, but then the tag system would have to be improved by IPS because currently we have to select open or closed, and minimum/maximum globally! This really needs to be per app (and per forum cat) and that would solve this!

I could have pre-defined tags, and have them select 1 only, and that would be a category-like marker. I really wish the tag system would be improved.

I have exactly the same feeling about tags. There are some areas where I want a specific closed bunch of tags (eg linguistic terms, since our forums are for people learning a language) and others where I want a totally different list (such as "opinions", "news", "history" for when people are writing articles).

Agreed, the tag system has potential, but needs to work more like the premium app in the marketplace. Forums could be so much cleaner with using defined tags similar to categories, you sort the results of a forum by the tags and view like sub-fourms, but you don't have all those separate sub-forums, but then you would want to use open tags elsewhere, as well as the other tag limits. But you can't. Global setting. I'd love to be able to set the max to 1, and use closed for certain areas.

• 5 months later...

Blog categories are kind of minimum requirements for a blog system. I read about the other discussions, that the engagement for the blog application has been reduced by IPS - for the good of the development of other apps and feature investments. But I believe that categories for different blogs and also a blog header image is minimum standard...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just upgraded to IPB 4 and members are complaining about the fact that categories no longer exist in blogs... and I'm very worried about this too.

What members don't like too is that blogs can now be read by guests... Of course, you can modify the configuration in "Manage blog/Edit blog" but you can only choose between two options :

- Everyone can read this blog

- Only the members I choose can read this blog

Is there a way to make the blogs readable only by all the board's members and not by guests ?

Thank you ! ^_^

On 3/16/2016 at 9:31 AM, SecondSight said:

What members don't like too is that blogs can now be read by guests... Of course, you can modify the configuration in "Manage blog/Edit blog" but you can only choose between two options :

- Everyone can read this blog

- Only the members I choose can read this blog

Is there a way to make the blogs readable only by all the board's members and not by guests ?

I'm really surprised Followers and guests is not on there.

3.4 has guests (checkmark) and the settings:
Public (so if guests is off this means all members, if guests is on, guests and members)
Friends (now Followers, missing in v4)
Private Club (this is possible in v4)
Private (missing from v4 but possible by entering only your name)

I'd suggest a separate suggestion post for it. It will get lost in here, this is for categories and is Not Planned.

Archived