Allowing spaces in usernames?

This very simple issue is giving me headaches.

I have tried everything I could think of.

Currently the "Allowed characters in display name" setting in the ACP is set to "a-z 0-9" (without the quotes). The effect this has is very confusing: in the registration form, if the user attempts to use a space in their username it will show their username is not valid. However, if the user simply ignores this warning, fills out the other forms with valid information and submits, their account will be registered.

To be clear: I want spaces to be allowed. With my current configuration they technically are allowed but the forms reports they aren't. This leads users to believe spaces are not allowed, when they in fact are.

If anyone could help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I was planning to go live with 4.0.8. This will delay my upgrade.

Why?

Because I was reverting all display names back to account names and then allow the new display name be changed. I chose this route so that no logons would need initially be changed.

I can make use of no restriction work-around but I do not like to allow something on a temporary basis.

Invision has to allow what I had before.

However, if the user simply ignores this warning, fills out the other forms with valid information and submits, their account will be registered.

​I just tried that suggestion with my test 4.0.7 and I could not get around the problem.

I added to the bug report.

2015-06-12_11-18-35.png

• 1 year later...

I found what I needed to change. Under Members => Profiles => Profile settings I changed "Allowed characters in display names" to

a-zA-Z0-9- -_

And it worked fine with a space in the username. Note the empty space between the dashes. I also allowed an underline at the end.

Archived