[Missing] Birthday in registration screen

CheersnGears

It looks like the birthday field carries over from an upgrade from 3.4.7, but there is no way to make it required or even available during registration.

http://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/rc3-birthdays-r3644/ -

Say's it isn't a bug.... to which I'm like:

picard-facepalm-o.gif

You'll give us the option to make Location available/required during registration.

You'll give us the option to make Gender available/required during registration.

You'll give us the option to make Interests available/required during registration.

You'll give us the option to make bloody obsolete ICQ available/required during registration!!!

I mean.... it's only been begged for by customers for years. 2009,20102010 again, 201120132014

It is resolved with a very simple hook in 3.4.7.... so why can't it be basic functionality in 4.0?!  It's not like making this one field available in the registration screen is going to breach every server's warp core! 

I really REALLY want to hear the tap dance on THIS one why we can't have the same options for birthday during registration!!

​Please do so as soon as IPB4 is out. "Age Bracket Requirement"  will be the first hook I will be looking for when I upgrade.

​It will be upgraded but not now or when IPS4 is out. It has 26 purchases. I have resources with 400, 300. I can't make those people wait and update other resources. I will update them according to their number of purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @Adriano Faria for making a hook for this.  I only wish that IPS Developers would explain their reasoning behind why they built it this way in the first place.  As I've pointed out, customers have been asking for this for over 10 years now and IPS has opted to ignore our requests.  It is troubling that something so simple doesn't make it into core functionality even after multiple major revisions of the software. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The intent is to add it to the registration settings. This will not be done before final as we're feature frozen.

@CheersnGears @ABGenc @Myr

Any update on this? We are on 4.0.9.2 now, and i can't see any options for birthdays in registration settings.

Also, i converted form vB3.8 -> IPS3.4.8 -> IPS4.x.x and Birthdates from my Members are imported and and shown in the members profile page. Usually the Birthdate could only see Admins/Mods. But at the moment, with the lack of setting options in ACP, everybody (also guest visitors) can see the Birthdate of any members.

What IPS4 Admins need is:

1. Enable/Disable on registration page
  2. Birthdate is mandatory or not
  3. Show on Profile Page or not

@Lindy
Where is your promise Mr. Throgmartin :-)

I think a setting (for privacy sake and for admins too) is to make this field also something that a member can choose whether that staff only, other member and guests can choose it.

I personally need birthdays for some of my stuff but I don't want it required but I also think that my members should get some privacy with it if they would prefer.

It's on the roadmap. No ETA. 

Thank you @Lindy, but this should not be a big deal for you guys to implement it in the upcoming release. When i look at the release notes page, than it should be added definitely after 4.0.10.0. Your last promise was 4 months ago.

Just save the Birthdate as a Profile Field instead of holding them in the members Datatable.

After that, all Admins have the option to decide where and to whom they want to show this field.

I am not a big fan of using 3rd party plugins.

Here is an easy workaround for all Admin without using a Plugin:

1. Create a new Profile Field "Birthdate", if it is not existing. Make your settings you need. Copy also the database ID of this Field (look at the URL)
2. Log in to your Database
3. You need a SQL Update Statement while joining the 2 Tables core_members and core_pfields_content by members ID, in order to copy the birthdate from the members table into the profile field birthday.

Best.

It depends on your needs.

In my case, I always had the birthdate as a profile field (also in vB3.xx). So for me no changes, if i am gonna add it as a custom pfield.

Just tell me, why everybody (even guests) could see my members birthdate on the profile page? How can IPS make Birthdate visible to everyone as a default setup, without giving admins the option to change it. This is a big member privacy issue imo.

I really don't care, how IPS gonna solve it backend wise, but the settings should be similar to the given profile field permission settings, like:

a) show on register page yes/no
b) birthdate ist required or not
c) show on profile page yes/no

Best. 

• Management

Thank you @Lindy, but this should not be a big deal for you guys to implement it in the upcoming release. When i look at the release notes page, than it should be added definitely after 4.0.10.0. Your last promise was 4 months ago.

I said "the intent" -- enough with the "you promised" already. :) If providing insight into our plans - future and present - is going to continuously be used in this fashion, we'll need to consider limiting details and communication to what's coming in the next month or so and keep the rest under wraps until we're closer to implementation as we don't want to lend to the impression that "we'll do this" means "we'll do this tomorrow." Until it's on the public roadmap, there's no ETA and we can't explain the specifics why for each requested item. Some things, like this, evolve into larger scope implementations that bring more benefit to more people... that's what it's all about. 

At the risk of seeming brash, we'll complete this when it's appropriate in the scope and you supplying deadlines is not exactly how this works. :)

Archived