Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

This method will work for any version actually.

It also works if only creating a local test from a live board situation or transfering between hosts with 3.4.7 and earlier.

The last comment I heard on IPS 4.0 @Charles made a comment that @Matt may have a solution for site transfer.

Waiting on this one myself with a few local issues transfering between OS's

From the looks of things you lost a few of your css files.

This could be a corrupt download which has happened to me a few times in file transfer.. Which came to an abrupt stop after going directly to TWC where they gave me a new modem.. LOL!!!!

Try downloading a fresh copy from your clients center.

In the older versions you could just copy the new file over the old.

I never tried it with version 4.0 so I can't say whether or not this will fix it without a complete fresh upgrade.

hello, i'd tryed many times to upgrade from 3.4.7 to 4.0 rc2 but i am getting always the same issue, pages are semi blancl :

i'd forgot some thing ?

​I seem to have the same problem ....  
Updating a working (test) install with one test forum, 2 users, and a small database on localhost via wamp.  Working on 3.4.7.  After converting and installing 4.0rc2 I end up with the same,  Also when clicking on the links, I get a 404....  Only ACP links seems to work, but only text.

Before testing with my 'normal' forum I like to test the upgrade process. As I can only have one test-install (which I use for my 'normal' board)  I am trying to make a localhost test setup with wamp.  Could this be the reason ?  Maybe I should try a locahost testinstall via linux on a vmware local installation ??  Or is there a bug in the upgrade from 3.4.7 to 4rc2 ? 

OK... My Question to both..

After you uploaded your boards to the servers including Wamp did you go through all the processes explained in Creating a Duplicate Local Test board from you Live Board.  prior to moving the RC's over?

Afterwards did your test sites mirror your live sites? Look exactly the same.

​I started with (in first post) 'step one' and both original and mirror sites looked exactly the same, also after utf-8 update of mirror-site in 3.4.7. 

I did not expect all the template rebuilds etc. were needed, as this was a default 3.4.7 install with only a few posts in one forum and only 2 users.  So I followed your guide in the second part of the post, and now the problems seem to have disappeared.  I have a 'normal' start-page now and will start testing and learning before converting my main site.  Thanks for the hints and your guide !

You'll be presented with queries against tables that have x number of rows. You'll also be able to set another x value in your constants.php. 

I can't remember name of constant currently, but take alook in init.php and you'll find it. Either way I would say it's always advisable with test upgrades, especially with forums at your size.

Tried to upgrade a 3.4.7 large board to 4.0 RC3 using this procedure and the duplicate method. Went through the procedure three times with same error each time.  First was with RC1, then RC2, and finally RC3.  Every time, right after completing the member upgrade portion, I get this error:

Fatal error: Class 'IPS\nexus\Money' not found in /......../httpdocs/applications/downloads/setup/upg_100005/upgrade.php on line 216

Any ideas?

Yes board was working, themes removed, 3rd party apps and hooks disabled.  Confirmed before copying RC3 on top and starting the upgrade process.

Yes we are using Ioncube:

This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine:
Zend Engine v2.5.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2015 Zend Technologies
    with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.6.0, Copyright (c) 2002-2014, by ionCube Ltd., and
    with Zend OPcache v7.0.4-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2015, by Zend Technologies

Try this -

after building yet another 3.4.7 test site try disabling Nexus. Both in the Manage Applications & Modules and all hooks as well... Also disable it in the root directory/admin/applications_addons/ips/nexus by putting a hash mark in front of nexus (-nexus) restart Xampp (which appears is what you are using)...

Go back into the forum via your browser and check to see if all is working other than Nexus which should be completely disabled... If all is working try the upgrade.... If the upgrade is working then you may want to submit a ticket to have  tech support check your nexus application on your live board if this is the means to your test site.

***Added Note***

Also try downloading a fresh copy of your board and Database from your server...

The easiest method would be to download the latest 3.4.7 download from the clients center and then ftp from your forum root Cache, Downloads, public, screenshots, uploads and conf_gobal.php.... Rebuild a fresh 3.4.7 test board and go from there.

Woodman, I followed your suggestions and got the same error again.  Not sure where to go from there.  Ocean West, I'm taking a look at your suggestions right now.

UPDATE:  I moved applications/downloads/setup/upg_100005/upgrade.php to upgrade.php.bak to see what would happen.  Continued upgrade and it completed.  Board appears to be functional so now I'm looking at this scrip to figure out what was not upgraded when I skipped it.  Are you familiar with this one?

I can't say for sure without digging on where that upgrade falls into place.

But when all else fails I have downloaded a fresh copy from the clients center... Corrupt downloads will screw up the works.

For me I believe I am having on occasion a file transfer issue between me and IPS Called Time Warner...

Because everytime I do this and rebuild a new test site the problem upgrading seems to clear...

So now before I even start to get ENRAGED! I just hit the clients center for a fresh copy then send TWC my bill..... LOL!!!

removing leftovers -

once upgraded and operational deleting all the leftover files & folders.

I also noticed that since directors are merged th Admin directory is one of them that needs all the OLD admin files no longer needed.

​I agree this is where all you need for the upgrade after the initial board setup is your public and uploads directories as well as your conf_global.php to start the upgrade in which afterwards you can drop the public directory.... The rest are unneeded.

But if you also have downloads and nexus you need to keep the downloads and screenshots directories even after the build.

Woodman, I followed your suggestions and got the same error again.  Not sure where to go from there.  Ocean West, I'm taking a look at your suggestions right now.

UPDATE:  I moved applications/downloads/setup/upg_100005/upgrade.php to upgrade.php.bak to see what would happen.  Continued upgrade and it completed.  Board appears to be functional so now I'm looking at this scrip to figure out what was not upgraded when I skipped it.  Are you familiar with this one?

​Just looked at these files and I believe this upgrade to be from an early preview

A little tip regarding the setting up of the CRON job to handle the tasks for rebuilding - I upgraded my 3.4.7 test site, containing ~56,000 topics/2,600,000 posts, to RC3 on Wednesday and calculated out that the rebuilding tasks would take close to 72 hours to complete even with the CRON job set to every 1 minute (was seeing only a .02% increase every minute for the posts rebuild)

The smallest interval that a CRON job can run at is every 1 minute - but there is a way to go lower: sleep xx; (where xx is the number of seconds to wait before running the command after the ; )

I have 3 CRON jobs now set up to run the tasks, each every minute - first one is as presented by IPS when viewing the CRON options within the ACP, but the other two have sleep 20; and sleep 40; added prior to the same command.

Result: the task processing was down to every 20 seconds, and I started seeing a .05%/.06% increase every minute for the posts rebuild as a result. So if you are in a position to know that running faster than a minute will not impact your hosting, then give it a try.

Note: once the rebuild is complete, no real need to keep the extra 2 so just revert back to having the 1 running every minute.