Jump to content

Invision Community Blog


Managing successful online communities


New: Member History

This is an entry about our IPS Community Suite 4.2 release

In previous versions of IPS Community Suite we have had an account history feature in our Commerce application. This feature showed many important actions that may be relevant to the customer such as when an invoice was generated or when a customer changed their account details.

In IPS Community Suite 4.2 we have expanded this functionality and moved it into the core functionality of the suite.

memberhistorymemberview.PNG

Member History Member Overview

Member actions that will be logged include (but are not limited to)

  • Email address change
  • Display name change
  • Password change
  • Account merge
  • Primary group change (The reason will be shown when triggered by an automatic group promotion)
  • Secondary group change
  • Flagged/Unflagged as spammer
  • Multi-Factor Authentication (Enable / Disable / Opt-out)
  • Social media (Twitter, Linked In, Facebook, Google, Twitter, IPS Connect) for enabling, disabling and which (if any) were used to register an account.

The Commerce customer account page will now show actions that may be related with a transaction or account.

memberhistorycustomeroverview.PNG

Member History on the Commerce customer view

Discoverability

Each action is also discoverable via the IP Address tools built into IPS Community Suite 4

memberhistoryipaddress.PNG

Member History in IP Search

We’ve also made the data table filterable

memberhistorysearch.PNG

Member History Search

Notes for developers:

  • The new Member History system has been designed with interoperability in mind. In IPS Community Suite 4.2 you will be able to integrate your own applications into this system.
  • Member History replaces the display name changes system.

Comments

Recommended Comments

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Is there a way for regular members to view other member's name changes?

This is a neat idea, but I think for privately reason it should stay to a mod than built in to the core. This is my personal view point for being an Admin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great update! I use the customer info quite heavily so nice to see the rest of the suite getting a facelift too.

As a sidenote, that interface looks sexier than ever...

Edit: I just looked at the image again more closely and see it mentions "alternative contact"; is that making use of the device logs showcased earlier for 4.2?

Edited by Aaron M
Link to comment
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Is there a way for regular members to view other member's name changes?

 

6 minutes ago, ZakRhyno said:

This is a neat idea, but I think for privately reason it should stay to a mod than built in to the core. This is my personal view point for being an Admin.

Not good. There are private information there,like email change, transactions from Commerce, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

 

Not good. There are private information there,like email change, transactions from Commerce, etc.

That what I said, if it just a handle I can see some use for it, but mostly I side with just keeping it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BomAle said:

I don't understand "Member History replaces the display name changes system." also for public side?

Groups, with permission, can still see Display Name History on the front-end on profiles. That particular area will only show name changes, however - not all of the other data. What that sentence means is just that the underlying system to store those changes has been moved over from it's own system, to this one, for consistency.

The same applies to Commerce customer history - there is no longer an independent system to store information on transactions, support requests, etc. That has all been migrated to this new central system, though the relevant data will still display on the Commerce customer information page.

Link to comment
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

 

Not good. There are private information there,like email change, transactions from Commerce, etc.

That's why I said name change in the question.  Clearly I would not want everything available.

Seems like there is already a mod for showing the name changes (hint hint), just hoping it could become part of the core product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

That's why I said name change in the question.  Clearly I would not want everything available.

Seems like there is already a mod for showing the name changes (hint hint), just hoping it could become part of the core product.

2 hours ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

Groups, with permission, can still see Display Name History on the front-end on profiles. That particular area will only show name changes, however - not all of the other data.

There you go. :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BomAle said:

With this user can see the groups history?

Thanks ?

Member History is more of an admin tool so that you can see what changes have happened to an account since it was created. For example, if you had placed a member in a specific group and they were auto-promoted based on a promotion rule you have set, their member history would show that, removing any confusion as to why they're now in a different user group.

Link to comment
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Member History is more of an admin tool so that you can see what changes have happened to an account since it was created. For example, if you had placed a member in a specific group and they were auto-promoted based on a promotion rule you have set, their member history would show that, removing any confusion as to why they're now in a different user group.

Would also help show if a support admin is doing things that they shouldn't, so helps protect the members in addition to being a potential 'debugging' tool. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Important Information

We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners. See more about cookies and our Privacy Policy

×