Jump to content
Mark
 Share


4.3: Videos

Videos are everywhere. We shoot them on our smart phones, share them to social media, messengers and more.

Up until now, the only way to share a video to Invision Community was to use a service like YouTube or Vimeo. If you uploaded a video file it would be treated like an attachment, and if the user clicked the link it would download it to their computer.

In Invision Community 4.3 we've improved this. Now if you upload a video file (mp4/3gp/mov/ogg/ogv/mpg/mpeg/flv/webm/wmv/avi/m4v), it will embed similarly to an image.

Screen%20Recording%202018-01-30%20at%200

Uploading a video

When viewing an uploaded video, if it is in a format that the user's browser and platform natively supports, it will show an embedded player. This will have all of the features supported by the operating system - for example, almost all browsers support fullscreen, and Safari supports Airplay and picture in picture.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 14.04.30.png

An uploaded video

If the video is in a format not supported, it displays exactly as it does now - as a download link.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 14.04.47.png

An uploaded video in a browser without playback support for that format

 Share

Comments

Recommended Comments



18 hours ago, Aiwa said:

Oh god no... Please no profile audio player... Please no... MySpace all over again.  ::shudder::  Where's the mute button!!

:)

Let's say I record myself playing a song on the guitar and upload it.  The only option for users is to download it to the computer.  Would be nice if it could just play in the browser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2018 at 10:23 AM, Mark said:

Yeah, we agree that would be a good feature. While 4.3 is feature locked, 4.4 isn't! If you have an idea, let us know in the feedback forum - we do read them.

Thanks Mark. It often feels they don't get seen or get lost easily from the clients perspective (which you can understand gets frustrating), especially if you (or you see others) keep asking over the years, or in particular if someone has said a proposal is in the timeline with no availability date (understandable), but they never seem to materialise (embedded videos, import from internal storage etc). :)

With the improvements to oEmbed in recent times, you'd think it would be a lot easier to accomplish video embeds for Gallery since you can already add a Youtube video to a post in seconds with a preview thumbnail.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2018 at 12:37 PM, Square Wheels said:

:)

Let's say I record myself playing a song on the guitar and upload it.  The only option for users is to download it to the computer.  Would be nice if it could just play in the browser.

Yes that would be great. And then I hope people cannot download the mp3 file and steal it :-)  Id want them to buy it in downloads

Link to comment
Share on other sites

so let me get all of this straight in my mind.

People will be able to upload their video clips, providing they are in a group which has permissions to do so.

And these can be uploaded like any other media into a forum post and then it will show up nicely just as if its YT or Vimeo and look nice too.

And if my guidelines say to BE NICE and don't upload just any old rubbish TAVM, because nobody is interested in your rubbish video and it will eat up our precious bandwidth which is reserved for quality information only,  then they might upload some nice quality. ( not in so many words LOL)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will we be able to prevent downloads of the videos?  Hopefully this can be switched off as it doesn't make sense to me that viewers can download someone else video clips with potential to use them for themselves.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kar3n2 said:

Will we be able to prevent downloads of the videos?  Hopefully this can be switched off as it doesn't make sense to me that viewers can download someone else video clips with potential to use them for themselves.

 

Anything served over the internet is inherently downloaded to the user.

The download button could be hidden, but a user could just view the page source to get the video's URL in order to download it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

Anything served over the internet is inherently downloaded to the user.

The download button could be hidden, but a user could just view the page source to get the video's URL in order to download it.

Yes I can imagine they can do that but end of day i would think its best to at least make it no quite so obvious for people to download it... as you say hide the button perhaps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I assume screenshots still have to be manually uploaded separately? Very annoying manual step, and almost nobody does that. So the gallery overview just looks very ugly with a bunch of default thumbnails.

External thumbnail generation would be nice, and perhaps transcoding of video files to MP4 for compatibility. 
http://coconut.co seems to have great API for these features. As transcoding and screenshots capture is barely offered by any web hosting company. 

Great feature btw.

On 02/02/2018 at 9:11 AM, The Old Man said:

Whilst these are nice and welcome improvements, but honestly I think uploading of member's locally hosted videos is a bit of an outdated concept these days, for reasons I mentioned above.

I dont agree... For my community I prefer to be independent of external video hosting companies like youtube for privacy- and other reasons. Some people here seem to be penny counting on 'expensive' storage and bandwidth. Bandwidth and storage have never been cheaper than now. This was perhaps an issue 5 or 10 years ago IMO.
HTML5 video is well supported now on any platform so no need for youtube for compatibility reasons too....

 

Edited by pyro888
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, pyro888 said:
On 02/02/2018 at 8:11 AM, The Old Man said:

 

I dont agree... For my community I prefer to be independent of external video hosting companies like youtube for privacy- and other reasons. Some people here seem to be penny counting on 'expensive' storage and bandwidth. Bandwidth and storage have never been cheaper than now. This was perhaps an issue 5 or 10 years ago IMO.
HTML5 video is well supported now on any platform so no need for youtube for compatibility reasons too....

Appreciate your view point, are you basing that on traditional local HDD storage or modern SSD storage? Or perhaps SSD for the stack and additional HDDs for storage? The reason I ask is because in we've kind of gone backwards in terms of capacity vs cost due to the increase of SSD hosting, at least until prices fall for SSDs to catch up to the TBs of HDD capacity. 

My host for example, lists their new SSD based VPS mid range package with 150GB of storage, lowest at 75GB and highest price package at 260GB; of course with the lamp stack and formatting overheads, you don't get any where near that in real world terms.

Cloud storage with a CDN is a lot cheaper than I thought though.

Edited by The Old Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2018 at 9:56 AM, Aiwa said:

The limited SSD drive I have is cringing at the 4.3 upgrade.  Honestly, offloading the file storage and bandwidth burden from video files to someone else, e.g. YouTube, was something that was appealing about the IPS limitation to play videos.  

Amazon S3 users, get ready for a usage increase.

It's optional. It's not like they are forcing you to use that feature. Some of us like that idea, because we have a great file hosting service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, pyro888 said:

I assume screenshots still have to be manually uploaded separately? Very annoying manual step, and almost nobody does that. So the gallery overview just looks very ugly with a bunch of default thumbnails.

External thumbnail generation would be nice, and perhaps transcoding of video files to MP4 for compatibility. 
http://coconut.co seems to have great API for these features. As transcoding and screenshots capture is barely offered by any web hosting company. 

Great feature btw.

This entry actually has nothing to do with Gallery (which still requires you to upload a thumbnail/poster if you wish to use one, yes).

All this blog entry is indicating is that when you upload a video to a post (or any other comment area) it will now embed if possible instead of just showing a link, just like an image would.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/02/2018 at 12:27 AM, The Old Man said:

Appreciate your view point, are you basing that on traditional local HDD storage or modern SSD storage? Or perhaps SSD for the stack and additional HDDs for storage? The reason I ask is because in we've kind of gone backwards in terms of capacity vs cost due to the increase of SSD hosting, at least until prices fall for SSDs to catch up to the TBs of HDD capacity. 

My host for example, lists their new SSD based VPS mid range package with 150GB of storage, lowest at 75GB and highest price package at 260GB; of course with the lamp stack and formatting overheads, you don't get any where near that in real world terms.

Cloud storage with a CDN is a lot cheaper than I thought though.

Storage is now more optimised for a specific application. If you need high IO for running applications use SSD. If you need bulk cheap storage for saving/serving photo/video files use HDD.

You can install a webserver running php files from a 25GB droplet for 5$ and storag 250GB of files on a Space for 5$. https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/  

Edited by pyro888
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With respects to video uploads do we have to be aware of the format? In my wordpress ( divi theme) I have to upload a video both in Mp4 and Webm so its compatible with all browsers.  All a bit strange but surely not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, kar3n2 said:

With respects to video uploads do we have to be aware of the format? In my wordpress ( divi theme) I have to upload a video both in Mp4 and Webm so its compatible with all browsers.  All a bit strange but surely not?

With javascript, we can detect if the user's browser supports the video file that was uploaded. If it does, we show it as a playable video instead of just as a downloadable file.

In short, this is a "progressive enhancement". The backend functionality has not changed at all - users go to a topic and can upload a video (if permitted), just like they can now in 4.2 and below. The only difference is, when a user comes along and sees the post later, if their browser is capable of natively playing that video format then it will. Otherwise they will continue to see a download link like they would now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2018 at 4:37 AM, Square Wheels said:
On 2/1/2018 at 9:45 AM, Aiwa said:

Oh god no... Please no profile audio player... Please no... MySpace all over again.  ::shudder::  Where's the mute button!!

 

YES! LOVE THIS OPTION and so does our community!!

Will there be a way to sell access to videos or a video library?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if anyone is using this currently. I have been trying it on my test site and the problem is constant buffering / waiting. The file is 427.99 MB in size for 2:42 minutes of play. Is there a better way, size limitation, ways to optimize? I am on shared hosting with SSD drives but again its shared. I use You Tube currently for videos I take while gaming and during other activities but with their bias currently I would like to move away from them as much as possible. I can see this as being useful for us but Im going to have to go with very "lite" videos or figure out a way to optimize somehow. BTW, I have exceptionally fast internet so that is not the issue. Lower end users might have even more trouble too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites




Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...