Select All for Spammers and Banned

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

I actually found a workaround. Use the search (gear icon) the the ACP member page to select a desired criteria, and then click on the "Spammer" button. This time the "prune members found" option will show up! 😉

This is correct, as any time there is search criteria, the ability to prune will be present 🙂 

2 hours ago, MMXII said:

What criteria can I use? I don't see an option to select users that have been marked as spammers.

You could use a date range which is huge. Then once its searched, click on the spammers tab. Always back up of course

16 minutes ago, Fast Lane! said:

+1

My mods ban people but I simply can't filter members by banned in the admin panel so I can prune them. Silly.

Generally it wouldnt be expected that people would prune banned users

3 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Generally it wouldnt be expected that people would prune banned users

@Marc Stridgen At least here with us, we are always looking into ways to reduce the size of our database and pruning unecessary data. Our community for 20 years now, so you can imagine the size of everything here. In our case specifically, we think we can do a nice cleanup by pruning old spammers (e.g. over 1 year ago) and their offending posts/topics.

Banned users are a different case, however, with new privacy laws in our country, it is always a concern to keep personal data from these users...

16 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

@Marc Stridgen At least here with us, we are always looking into ways to reduce the size of our database and pruning unecessary data. Our community for 20 years now, so you can imagine the size of everything here. In our case specifically, we think we can do a nice cleanup by pruning old spammers (e.g. over 1 year ago) and their offending posts/topics.

Banned users are a different case, however, with new privacy laws in our country, it is always a concern to keep personal data from these users...

Adding to this.  Banned members for us include spammers which may have left nasty images and such in their profile fields (visible on their profile) without having posted anything on the site.  I’m sure other admins have had this (SEO member names with random profile spam).  Flagging them does not remove this content.  We prefer to clean up those banned members which include lots of spammers for us.  

Just like the prior poster. We’ve been with IPB for 20+ years and tens of millions of posts. Hopefully we have something to add. Right now around 50% of signups are SEO profile spam accounts that never post.  It’s silly and I refuse to fully lock down members their first day or two and drive new folks away with a bad experience.  Credit to our mods who review new accounts daily for this. 

Edited by Fast Lane!

I think a good improvement here would be for the flag as spammer action to clear profile fields, member photo and custom field data as well.  If not their profile will remain as a spam billboard (see above).  

Maybe another complementary option would be to simply have spammed flagged profile not be visible publicly (even the user name is often SEO crafted).

32 minutes ago, Fast Lane! said:

I think a good improvement here would be for the flag as spammer action to clear profile fields, member photo and custom field data as well.  If not their profile will remain as a spam billboard (see above).  

That's already happening once the "Hide content submitted already" or "Delete content submitted already" option is enabled

2 minutes ago, JohnCourt said:

Daniel, as far as I know if you ban or mark a member as spammer, the profile page is still visible by other members?

Correct, I only quoted the first part with clearing the profile, where the signature, profile field content, cover photo and the avatar are removed.

The community we have, we have banned one legitimate member in all the years we have been a community, it was over continuous use of language.

All our banned members are spammers, so it would be nice to be able to have the option to select all "Banned" or "Spammer" and hit the delete button. Two clicks, and WHAM! Done, onto more important things 🙂

1 hour ago, JohnCourt said:

The community we have, we have banned one legitimate member in all the years we have been a community, it was over continuous use of language.

All our banned members are spammers, so it would be nice to be able to have the option to select all "Banned" or "Spammer" and hit the delete button. Two clicks, and WHAM! Done, onto more important things 🙂

The better question is if you want to delete spammers, why wasn't the "Flag as Spammer" option used and opted to delete the member and content? That would be 1 click 🙂 . I would use the prune steps Marc mentioned above to remove the spammers you did this in the past and then use the "Flag as Spammer" option moving forward.

1 hour ago, JohnCourt said:

Daniel, as far as I know if you ban or mark a member as spammer, the profile page is still visible by other members?

This is actually something I'd love to see added to the platform. In the past, we achieved this with a third-party plugin, which became incompatible with PHP8 and we had to remove.

There is actually an app for that currently available in the marketplace: 

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/10175-tb-banned-members-enhancements/

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

The better question is if you want to delete spammers, why wasn't the "Flag as Spammer" option used and opted to delete the member and content? That would be 1 click 🙂 . I would use the prune steps Marc mentioned above to remove the spammers you did this in the past and then use the "Flag as Spammer" option moving forward.

I gotta get my head wrapped around that Jim. I'll have to look and see what you mean, I am sure it would work.

So, if we mark a member as spammer, then it will auto delete the member, we can set it up that way?

7 minutes ago, JohnCourt said:

So, if we mark a member as spammer, then it will auto delete the member, we can set it up that way?

Apologies, misremembered there. One of those weeks for me, unfortunately 😄 . You can delete content and ban the member but not delete the member as a whole. Though, that might be the suggestion here to give you a better workflow and not having to worry about mass deleting members. Think that may be something for us to chew on between the two options.

7 hours ago, Daniel F said:

That's already happening once the "Hide content submitted already" or "Delete content submitted already" option is enabled

See my photo above.  The customer field content is still visible despite the member being flagged as a spammer.  I think we have the option set to "hide content" since mods have mistakenly deleted accounts before when flagging as a spammer by accident (hiding is a reversible action worse case).  If this is the issue can we hide the profile custom fields as well?