Forum Set to Question But Spamming?

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hi, I set a support forum to Type: Questions and have the permission matrix for Guests set to See Forum and Read Question. But a spam bot overnight showed me that the Guest can post a question even if the permission says they can't. I even tested it out in private mode in my browser. Thoughts?

Could contain: Computer, Electronics, Laptop, Pc, ChartCould contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

The forum is visible to anybody who goes to the URL. They can see and read it per the permission set (like the above image) They can ask a new question even if it disallows in the permissions. They are not even signing up it bots and they are being seen as Guests as they never sign in. But they can post questions when the forum thread is set to questions and not just a basic forum thread. 

This is what I mean.

• Solution
21 hours ago, ZakRhyno said:

The forum is visible to anybody who goes to the URL. They can see and read it per the permission set (like the above image) They can ask a new question even if it disallows in the permissions. They are not even signing up it bots and they are being seen as Guests as they never sign in. But they can post questions when the forum thread is set to questions and not just a basic forum thread. 

This is what I mean.

This looks like an issue with one of your third party applications/plugins. When I disable all of those, I am getting a Post Before Registration screen which is correct per your settings.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

This looks like an issue with one of your third party applications/plugins. When I disable all of those, I am getting a Post Before Registration screen which is correct per your settings.

I went back to recreating what you've done and disable all applications/plugs to see which one was the cause of this. But upon doing that I get the same thing tha happens before even with all the items turn off. I try Firefox and Chrome in private mode but gotten the same thing. Could you share what you may have done different then what I have?

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

Could contain: Page, Text

Edited by ZakRhyno

Im not sure what it is you are seeing at present, but currently its showing correctly, as its showing that an email has to be entered.

Could contain: Page, Text, File

This is post before register, which you can switch off at system>Settings>Posting

Could contain: Page, Text, File

The issue however is it is not showing email address on your site when 3rd party applications are active. Instead its showing "your name", which is what would usually show on guest posting

Could contain: Page, Text

It looks like this is being caused by the 3rd party application "Application Forms"

What I mean is when the application is disabled and the setting are they are set. I have Guests only to see and read the forum's posts. I disable the ability to post, yet they still can as it is currently. I posted the picture below showing the permission matrix. If it is set this way how can they still post something? 

Could contain: Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen, Text

1 minute ago, Adriano Faria said:

@Marc Stridgen is talking about this:

or this:

If any of these is not extending properly the class, will cause this error. Not sure which one you use, so I showed both.

Correct, when the application is turned on it is doing what we talk about in the thread above. But when everything is turned off and the permission are set as they are, Guest shouldn't be allowed to post anything just read and access it. But they still can post a Q&A to the forums as is. This makes no sense as they way it is setup as I understand it means they shouldn't be able to do so.

Edited by ZakRhyno

41 minutes ago, ZakRhyno said:

Correct, when the application is turned on it is doing what we talk about in the thread above. But when everything is turned off and the permission are set as they are, Guest shouldn't be allowed to post anything just read and access it. But they still can post a Q&A to the forums as is. This makes no sense as they way it is setup as I understand it means they shouldn't be able to do so.

They should as you have post before register switched on. So they post, and it then doesnt show until they register. If you wish not to have that happen you would need to switch off the setting mentioned

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2023 at 7:37 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

They should as you have post before register switched on. So they post, and it then doesnt show until they register. If you wish not to have that happen you would need to switch off the setting mentioned

I just gotten this.