(Suggestion) Make quotes non-editable

MMXII

A thing that I don't like in (all available) forum/community software is that quotes are just regular text that is being added to answers in the editor and can be edited by the user that quoted the text. Not only does it allow regular users to "change the text of another member" (not really, but you know what I mean...), it also makes no sense that this is possible, because if one replies to quoted text, the idea is to react to that specific text. I guess this is why quoted text does not change, even when the original post has been edited, so there we already see that the original text is being honored.

I don't know how to achieve this technically, but in my opinion quoted text should appear as non-editable objects in the editor. The regular user should not be able to edit quotes at all. (There should be a group permission to allow editing quotes for moderation purposes of course.)

2 minutes ago, MMXII said:

I don't know how to achieve this technically...but it's not going to be foolproof

Oh, you could handle it using javascript quite easily. But then someone can easily turn off javascript.

Also nothing stopping someone from opening up the developer console and editing the content of the quote that way:

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage