Stripe Payment Error

Go to solution Solved by Stuart Silvester,

I have setup a test product as I begin to create our online community store. I chose Stripe as our payment method and have the correct/live secret, publishing and webhook details saved but when processing a payment the below message appears.

'There was an error processing the payment. Please try a different payment method or contact us for assistance.'

When trying to purchase the test product I key in all the card details correctly and yes I do have the funds 😂 but it fails each time.

The stripe account is in live mode and everything verified.

Is there something simple I'm missing here?

Currently the store is set to Admin visibility only while I'm testing.

Edited by FM Graphics

Thanks @H5K but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I've checked the logs on Stripe and it seems to be related to a customer issue.

I'm getting the below message today when testing.

'No such customer: 'cus_xxxxxxxxxxxxx'; a similar object exists in test mode, but a live mode key was used to make this request.'

I selected all events on Stripe when setting up the account and as mentioned I'm in live mode with all live secrets and webhooks setup.

20 hours ago, FM Graphics said:

Thanks @H5K but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I've checked the logs on Stripe and it seems to be related to a customer issue.

I'm getting the below message today when testing.

'No such customer: 'cus_xxxxxxxxxxxxx'; a similar object exists in test mode, but a live mode key was used to make this request.'

I selected all events on Stripe when setting up the account and as mentioned I'm in live mode with all live secrets and webhooks setup.

I can't recall specifically if this ended up being the issue or not but going to write it anyway just in case:

• I think I got a similar error when I had multiple Stripe card checkouts with different Stripe accounts

7 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Do you have the transaction ID I can take a look at?

There is no transaction ID available. I'm not sure if this is because it is a pending transaction or not but when I view invoices in the payments section it is the only one with the status as pending. I've cancelled the other orders to see if it was a problem similar to what @H5K mentioned but it didn't help unfortunately. Rather than delete the transactions I cancelled them so they could be viewed.

The invoice ID is 13.

2 hours ago, H5K said:

I can't recall specifically if this ended up being the issue or not but going to write it anyway just in case:

• I think I got a similar error when I had multiple Stripe card checkouts with different Stripe accounts

Appreciate your help with this guys.

59 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

This issue was being caused by the payment gateway trying to use customer data from Stripe's test mode on the live gateway.

It's always a good idea remove the gateway that was used for the Stripe test mode during set up and create a new one for live transactions.

@Stuart Silvester@Jim M this seems to be a bug. I think I recall having a similar issue after editing an existing gateway and replacing the test api key/webhook/etc with the live info. Could you confirm if there is a bug with editing an existing gateway?

10 minutes ago, H5K said:

@Stuart Silvester@Jim M this seems to be a bug. I think I recall having a similar issue after editing an existing gateway and replacing the test api key/webhook/etc with the live info. Could you confirm if there is a bug with editing an existing gateway?

There's no bug here, changing the data that the Gateway/API references is going to cause problems. That goes for any gateway if you're changing something material such as the data source or account IDs.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:49 PM, Stuart Silvester said:

There's no bug here, changing the data that the Gateway/API references is going to cause problems. That goes for any gateway if you're changing something material such as the data source or account IDs.

Does having multiple gateways of the same type also cause issues? For example, two separate Stripe accounts that are both configured to use credit cards?