"Expanded view" in a certain forum overruns recommended PHP memory limit

When trying to view a certain forum on my community in "expanded view", the result is an empty white page with an HTTP 500 response code. It generates errors like this one in my webserver's log which indicate that Invision Community is running out of memory:

FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /[redacted]/system/Db/Select.php on line 503" while reading response header from upstream, client: [redacted], server: [redacted], request: "GET [redacted] HTTP/1.0", upstream: [redacted], host: "[redacted], referrer: [redacted]

My server's PHP memory limit is set to 128 MB, the value recommended by the requirements checker. I already ruled out third-party mods because I can reproduce it with all non-IPS applications and plugins disabled. The issue still occurs after raising the memory limit to 256 MB but goes away after raising it to 512 MB, which seems excessive. For now, I set the limit back down to 128 MB.

I left the problematic forum section's URL in my ACP's "admin notes" widget for IPS support to take a look.