Anyone need help crashing a site?

Because apparently  I am an expert. 

I have resisted upgrading my community for several years now.  Three years ago when the 4.0 upgrade came out it was so far over my head I did not upgrade.  a bug has infiltrated my site and I have been trying to fix it.  Matt was nice enough to get it backup but then It crashed again.  So I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to 4.7.9.  Now it wont finish the upgrade.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, TextCould contain: Page, Text, File

I do not know why.  The site is HotAirBalloonist.com/forum.  I have tried to set up a test site at hotairballoonist.com/newforum and that failed. 

A few pointers would be great.

Jeff

Could contain: Page, Text, File

I am having my server people do a site restore.  Apparently I have deleted files that were needed.   Bull in a china shop...  "That's Me"

I would not know where or how to view the server logs.  I am not that tecky..

Jeff

Well Shoot.   That was the primary reason I never upgraded the site.  Afraid to loose the things I had set up and no idea what was compatible and not.  I let someone into the site a long time ago to try to make fixes for me and ended up spending 6 months chasing a coin-hive bug.  So now I don't trust anyone and I don't know enough to manage the site on my own. 

I was having a hard time understanding this before and then I had a stroke so even simple stuff is more difficult now.

Very Frustrated..

Thank you for trying to help. 

Jeff

Ok hidden those just to keep things tidy. I can see a reference to cleantalk. Not sure if that is something you have installed?

What I would suggest here is getting to that same point again first of all. Then you can check the error logs as soon as it hits that point. If you then still have an issue, ensure access details are up to date and let us know. Do not revert it as we then can't see what the issue is. 

While I would love to do as you ask I am unsure what to do. 

You say,

35 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

What I would suggest here is getting to that same point again first of all.

I think you are trying to tell me to go back to the upgrade and try avian to do an upgrade.  Then when the screen goes blank as it has many times before to check the error log.

Guessing that that assumption is correct...

I do not know what log or where to find the "Log" that you are referring to.  Would it be in the hotairballoonist.com/forum folder and if yes, what does it look like or what would it be called?

Sorry I am so uneducated about this stuff.  But I will try as best I can

Thank you.

Jeff

3 hours ago, CaptJeff said:

While I would love to do as you ask I am unsure what to do. 

You say,

I think you are trying to tell me to go back to the upgrade and try avian to do an upgrade.  Then when the screen goes blank as it has many times before to check the error log.

Guessing that that assumption is correct...

I do not know what log or where to find the "Log" that you are referring to.  Would it be in the hotairballoonist.com/forum folder and if yes, what does it look like or what would it be called?

Sorry I am so uneducated about this stuff.  But I will try as best I can

Thank you.

Jeff

Yes, this is what you need to do. If you are unsure where to find the error, you would need to ask your hosting company. However if you cannot find that, just get it to that point and let us know

Hi Stuart!

Hope you are well.  I am having the site re-installed from a backup file from the host people.  Once that is done I should be able to log in and try, but...  I am almost afraid to for fear that many of my other apps will no longer work and then there is no going back.  That is why the last update or upgrade I did was more than three years ago.  The new version of the invision software is so far above my abilities I am useless and can no longer manage my community. 

So I just do not know what to do.

Thank you all for being so kind to me.  I have had a rough couple of years.  I nearly passed away from a hemorrhagic stroke that had me in a coma for 5 days and then my 7 year old son was diagnosed with leukemia.  You all have no idea how appreciative I am of how tolerant and helpful you have been to me.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

I will continue this when I am able to get back into my site.

Jeff

I wish I could.  I have no money.  When I had my stroke I lost both my businesses and what savings I had was consumed with a months stay in the hospital.  Then on my one year anniversary my 7 year old son was diagnosed with Leukemia and started a 2.5 year battle to survive cancer.  The membership fees from HotAirBalloonist.com provides less than $100 a month.  Money we currently use to feed ourselves.  That is why I am so very thankful to everyone for helping me.  I am truly fighting battles that few would understand. 

Again,  Thank you to everyone who helps me with this.  I spent nearly 10 years building the HotAirBalloonist.com community.  I would hate to have that all go to waste.  Once I get it back up I encourage any and all to go on and view the thousands of files and information gathered over that lifespan.

All the best to you all and...

Thank you.

Jeff

Here is more information. 

My server people have finished the reinstall from backup.  now when I go to admin/upgrade I get the following screen.

Could contain: Page, Text

I am afraid to do anything from here.  I do not know how to fix or what this even means.  So again I am stuck.

All the best.  Jeff

I am sure this is great advice.  I wish I knew what a chmodded was. 

I have downloaded a copy of 4.7.9.   I am sure I can go down the list of files and ftp new ones to the server.  The only issue I have is how to set permissions. Should I?  How do I do it?

4 minutes ago, CaptJeff said:

I am sure this is great advice.  I wish I knew what a chmodded was. 

I have downloaded a copy of 4.7.9.   I am sure I can go down the list of files and ftp new ones to the server.  The only issue I have is how to set permissions. Should I?  How do I do it?

The easiest way to do that imo is through a ftp client or the File Manager section in your cPanel.

To do it through a ftp client, I am using Filezilla,  after you are connected, browse to the file(s) whose permissions need to be changed. Right click on the file name and then select "File permissions" from the drop down menu and set them accordingly.

Whereas to do it through the File Manager , right click on the file that you want to change, then select Change Permissions from the list of options.

Hope it helps.