Why is the marketplace designed like this?

It seems like every time I need to update an app, I have to buy it at full price again, despite having done that multiple times? If I buy an app it should be mine, this subscription model is just capitalist madness. Same goes for an IPS update: it seems like every major IPS update breaks every app I own, then I have to rebuy all the apps again in order to get the fixed version. As it stands, I am just not updating my IPS installation any more because of this exact situation. 

Who made the decision to employ this model, and what is my motivation to upgrade if every time I do I have to spend a bunch of money on getting a fixed app?

Just now, Callum MacGregor said:

It seems like every time I need to update an app, I have to buy it at full price again, despite having done that multiple times? If I buy an app it should be mine, this subscription model is just capitalist madness. Same goes for an IPS update: it seems like every major IPS update breaks every app I own, then I have to rebuy all the apps again in order to get the fixed version. As it stands, I am just not updating my IPS installation any more because of this exact situation. 

Who made the decision to employ this model, and what is my motivation to upgrade if every time I do I have to spend a bunch of money on getting a fixed app?

Repurchase??? 

Check here > https://invisioncommunity.com/clients/purchases/

Via here you can manage your purchased items and renew the ones you need.

As far as I understand most apps has renewal fees half the initial cost. Can you share an app url that you have purchased multiple times? 

From the link you sent I can see this, which is the app I need to update. How did it even expire to begin with?Could contain: Text, Cheque, Document

Anyway, if I go through the marketplace in my admincp to update the app (as is the recommended way), I am only shown the option to re-purchase again at full price:

Could contain: Text

5 minutes ago, Callum MacGregor said:

How did it even expire to begin with?

Because when you first purchased it, it has a renewal fee enabled.

6 minutes ago, Callum MacGregor said:

Anyway, if I go through the marketplace in my admincp to update the app (as is the recommended way), I am only shown the option to re-purchase again at full price:

That's because Invision don't display the renewal information in the ACP...which leads to the confusion you have.

The above information is indeed correct. You will however receive renewal notifications via email if you have a renewal due

With regard IPS updates breaking items, it would be for the authors to ensure there are updated versions to resolve any incompatibility issues. Really you should check for compatibility before upgrading where possible