Random access to a forum : bug ?

Hello, 🙂

Some of my board’s members sometimes can’t access a forum on my board. 

It’s the favourite forum on my board and one must have posted 5 messages to access it.

What can be the reasons why some members have random access to this forum when they should be able to access it all the time ? Is there an option like « Number of members who can access this forum ? » 

Members say that can’t access the board and they get an error message saying : 2F176/1 error.

Another one told me he got an http 500 error.

But they can access topics where they have ben quoted.

Can you help me fixing this ?

Thank you, 🙂

Edited by SecondSight

A 500 Error would be a server would be like the check engine light of your car. It says something is wrong but not exactly what or where. You would need to grab the server error log entry on your server for that.

2F176/1 error is a permission error that they do not have access so would need to ensure they're logged in with the correct account.

Hello, 🙂

On 4/21/2023 at 10:40 PM, Jim M said:

2F176/1 error is a permission error that they do not have access so would need to ensure they're logged in with the correct account.

One member didn’t have access because she had not posted enougth posts to have access to thé forum. This is fixed now. 🙂

On 4/21/2023 at 10:40 PM, Jim M said:

You would need to grab the server error log entry on your server for that.

I suppose the file is error_log ? (In Centos : /usr/local/apache/error_log) But I didn’t find anything corresponding to the members’ IPs or to the http 500 error.

What is interesting is that members sometimes have access and sometimes don’t… (and they don’t use several accounts, they only have one).

Edited by SecondSight

1 hour ago, SecondSight said:

They can’t access the forum by clicking on it’s name on the front page. But they still can access the topics insiste this forum, using « My activity streams ».

We would require the user's display name or ID.

I used the « Sign in as membername » option in the ACP and I could access the forum using their account while they can’t.

I also asked them to login with a test account and the problem is the same : I can access the forum using the test account while they can’t.

I wonder what can be the reason for this…

8 minutes ago, SecondSight said:

I used the « Sign in as membername » option in the ACP and I could access the forum using their account while they can’t.

I also asked them to login with a test account and the problem is the same : I can access the forum using the test account while they can’t.

I wonder what can be the reason for this…

I can really only suggest that it is an issue with their local computer, if you have tested this yourself and it doesn't seem to be tied to their account.

12 hours ago, SecondSight said:

Yes, that’s what I thought first, but they have the same issue both on their phone and computer. And it’s happening to about 10 members… 

We can certainly look into it but as mentioned, we'd need an example member display name or ID.

Hello, 🙂

I've asked a server management company to have a look into this, but they said they didn't find errors in the server logs... (they searched for the http 500 error and the members' IPs).

Here are the names of members who experience this problem :

éléphant rose (this one just told me now that she experienced the problem right now)
Watteau
snowy
locko
Colibri29
3caille
aqua897
maloma
Alex'Sandra
bulle2
philpelpet
gali

The forum they are trying to access is :

https://forums-enseignants-du-primaire.com/forum/243-graffiti/

This forum is not accessible to guests and new members. It can be accessed by other members.

Thank you 🙂

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

• 2 months later...

Hello, 🙂

I should have posted some time ago… I fixed momentarily the problem by :

- moving some topics to another forum,

- lowering the number of posts per page.

Do you know if this correspond to a PHP setting or some other setting ?

Thank you 🙂

Edited by SecondSight