Group Promotions Not Working?

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Last year, I re-organised my member usergroups to help protect from spammers and malicious users. The idea would be that, upon registration, a new user would be set in the usergroup 'Newbie', which requires their first 10 posts to be approved by mod/admin before being able to freely post as well as other restrictions (one of which being unable to make topics). These restrictions would be lifted when the user is promoted to another 'Regular User' group.

I set up a rule for this ages ago with the following settings activated:

• Any Achievement Points
  • Not Banned
  • Groups: Newbie
  • Member Joined: More than 60 Days Ago
  • Last Posted: Anytime
  • Last Visited: Anytime

Actions:

• Move to Group: 'Regular User'

However, I have just had a user complain that they registered back in Oct 2022 and still is unable to post topics. So I've had to manually 'promote' their usergroup. I checked the Member list in AdminCP and did a search for all users who had registered between Nov 1, 2022 and Dec 31, 2022 who were still in the 'Newbie' usergroup and to my surprise there were four pages of results!

What am I doing wrong? These users should be automatically promoted but it clearly isn't doing that. The 'Enable Group Settings' toggle is ON in the Newbie group under 'Group Settings' in ACP as well. So it's not that. Is there a specific Task that isn't running properly here or something, that I need to look into? Any help is appreciated!

Just now, Adriano Faria said:

Members will be moved when they login. It isn’t automatic.

I don't think that's the issue with the user who complained about being unable to post a topic, at the very least, because they had used their account to log in and tell me they were still stuck in Newbie usergroup. If it's happened to one user, it's likely to have happened to a lot more too.

I re-ran a member search, limited it to users registered between 1 Nov 2022 - 31 Dec 2022 (so well over 60 days ago) with last activity between 1 Mar 2023 - 11 Apr 2023 (within 60 days and 60 days after the latest possible registration date of 31 Dec 2022). There are 11 results. All of these users have logged in within the last month.

So again, I think there may be something else wrong, or something I'm missing Task-wise.

13 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

You could put it in the notes section of your client area… that would let any IPS staffer help you. (Especially if Marc ever gets a day off!)

Just been off for a few days. You didnt notice? 😄 

18 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Thanks Marc - would it be okay to DM you this information to protect usernames etc from my community?

Just the user IDs will be fine if needed. But of course you can, no problem

9 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Just been off for a few days. You didnt notice? 😄 

Just the user IDs will be fine if needed. But of course you can, no problem

Ah no worries then, I can share the user IDs no problem. 🙂

The resulting members from my search mentioned earlier, who should have been automatically promoted in the Group Promotions...

If you're able to log in and take a look, I only have one Group Promotion Rule implemented which is the one that I'm worried isn't being fired correctly. Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong. 😅

Ahhh, I missed those two rules. Apologies Marc, thanks for clarifying and waking me up! 🙂 If I changed any of these rules (i.e. removed the content and rep count rules) and then saved the Promotion Rule, would the Task to promote those users happen automatically or would I need to manually re-run some tasks?

20 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Ahhh, I missed those two rules. Apologies Marc, thanks for clarifying and waking me up! 🙂 If I changed any of these rules (i.e. removed the content and rep count rules) and then saved the Promotion Rule, would the Task to promote those users happen automatically or would I need to manually re-run some tasks?

There is not a “task” that runs at a pre-determined schedule. It happens as the user interacts with the site. For example, if you have a rule that moves them into a new member group, it would happen the next time they login or use the site. If they never login for 3 months, it won’t happen till then.  If they never login again, the change would never occur.