Upgrade Error from 4.7.7 to 4.7.9

We recently moved web hosts and everything was generally running smoothly. Went to upgrade the Invision Community software from version 4.7.7 to 4.7.9, and encountered the following error:

Upgrade Error:

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php74)

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

Initially I thought it was due to DNS not propagating, so had waited several days before attempting it again.

Could contain: Page, Text, File

I have opened a support ticket with the web host as previous posts suggest there may be a sessions permission issue with the web host, however, is there a way to make the community accessible again?

I had tried to clear the System Caches and restart the installation, but that did not help.

Thank you!

Thanks for your response.

The other odd thing I noticed and have a question about is the path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php74

We have moved to PHP 8 (well before the host migration - and it was working fine) and it is no longer on a cPanel server, so I am wondering if this string is stored within the Invision software, or on the web host side.

I'll report back once I hear back from the web host if we get this resolved.

Edited by CPTDB

2 minutes ago, ThunderBlue said:

Hi. Yes in the conf_global.php- Change and restart upgrade

Thanks for this! I checked and in my conf_global.php that full path does not exist and it says:

'php_ext' => 'php',

4 minutes ago, CPTDB said:

Thanks for this! I checked and in my conf_global.php that full path does not exist and it says:

'php_ext' => 'php',

I apologize I confused the path with the sql path. Very sorry 🤐

Edited by ThunderBlue

1 minute ago, ThunderBlue said:

I apologize I confused the path with the sql path. Very sorry 🤐

No problem, I greatly appreciate your help and suggestion!

I guess the AdminCP I had was still logged in but when trying in another browser it gives the following message, so hopefully the web host will be able to fix it on their end.

"You have started an upgrade
A new version has been uploaded and the upgrade process has been started. You must complete the upgrade before you will be able to access the AdminCP. "

Could contain: Page, Text

Thank you!

Edited by CPTDB

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

Out of curiosity, what does phpinfo say for session info?

Great suggestion...

session.save_path    

Local Value:

/var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php74    

Master Value:

/opt/alt/php80/var/lib/php/session

5 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Do you have a custom php.ini or a value hard coded in .htaccess?

That was exactly it. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right place!

cPanel had added those PHP variables to the .htaccess file. I commented those out and we are good to go!

The web host did not make any changes in my case and I have closed my support ticket with them.

Thanks for your quick responses @Randy Calvert and @ThunderBlue - much appreciated!

The summary of my learning is to check the .htaccess file for PHP variables when moving from a cPanel server to DirectAdmin.

Edited by CPTDB

In case it helps anyone, it is this section in the .htaccess file that I commented out. This was added by cPanel MultiPHP INI Editor.

It was still present even though we migrated to PHP 8 a while ago - and the last few upgrades worked flawlessly.

Could contain: Page, Text