Copy Live-Content to Test-Platform

Go to solution Solved by Randy Calvert,

Good evening,

I have an onprem installation and I want to copy the live content to my test-instance.

Are there any solutions?

I didn't found something right now - maybe I didn't looked for the correct wording in Google.

Or maybe can I just copy some table, like users, categories and content?

I don't have much customised (only css, javascript, etc.).

Thanks for your help in advance!

Greetings Martyn

Edited by MartynSanders

• Solution
Marc Stridgen
This post was recognized by Marc Stridgen!

Randy Calvert was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 5 points.

• Export your PRODDB.  
  • Import it into a new database (DEVDB)
  • Assign a mySQL username/password that only has access to the dev instance
  • Copy the home folder of your prod site to the test instance (rsync or download everything and upload)
  • On the dev instance, edit the conf_global.php file to update the mySQL info, and edit the board URL to reflect the correct URL of the test instance.

This makes the assumption you're not using other external services such as Redis or Elasticsearch, etc.  I generally would not setup cron on the test instance in case other tasks such as commerce billing run on your prod instance that would potentially end up as duplicates.  

11 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:
  • Export your PRODDB.  
  • Import it into a new database (DEVDB)
  • Assign a mySQL username/password that only has access to the dev instance
  • Copy the home folder of your prod site to the test instance (rsync or download everything and upload)
  • On the dev instance, edit the conf_global.php file to update the mySQL info, and edit the board URL to reflect the correct URL of the test instance.

This makes the assumption you're not using other external services such as Redis or Elasticsearch, etc.  I generally would not setup cron on the test instance in case other tasks such as commerce billing run on your prod instance that would potentially end up as duplicates.  

Hi Randy,

thank you - easier than I thought.

I'll give you feedback if it worked.

Greetings

Marc Stridgen
This post was recognized by Marc Stridgen!

Nathan Explosion was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 5 points.

On the resulting test instance, please create a constants.php file in the root (same location as the conf_global.php)

Content should be

<?php

and then think about the following:

To avoid actually sending out email to users...(create an 'email' folder in the root of the installation)

\define('EMAIL_DEBUG_PATH', 'email');

If you use Commerce, add this to ensure that you aren't going to end up double-charging for items that may be renewable

\define('NEXUS_TEST_GATEWAYS', true);

If you already have a constants.php file then it may have content in there specific to your production installation, and it may need to be modified to avoid affecting the production instance (caching stuff, for example) In this case, post the current contents for advice.