Some members have better rank than lower limit in ACP

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

13 hours ago, Canis said:

We have done this now, but it did not change anything. Posts in forums that is set not to count are still used for ranks.

Have you rebuilt achievements? Also when you refer to "Items set not to count" are you ensuring you have not selected them in the achievement itself? If this is the case, we would need a specific example.

As said in another post we don't know how to rebuild. Searching for "rebuild" in ACP gives no result apart from search index.

21 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Also when you refer to "Items set not to count" are you ensuring you have not selected them in the achievement itself? If this is the case, we would need a specific example.

See our access details.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

As said in another post we don't know how to rebuild. Searching for "rebuild" in ACP gives no result apart from search index.

Can do this by going to: ACP -> Members -> Achievements -> Settings -> Rebuild Members' Achievements.

34 minutes ago, Canis said:

Thanks, it's running now, I'll come back with the result.

This should be included in ACP search. Are there other data that can be rebuild?

There are, for example achievements would be another, if you change thumbnail sizes in areas may be another. But you really shouldnt be seeking those out unless you have a specific issue or reason

But how would we know that we have an issue? Now we have, by chance, discovered two cases that might be corrected by a recount.
Suggest that you publish a list of what can be rebuilt, especially since they cannot be found by searching ACP.
As far as I remember the rebuild options were shown in ACP earlier.

Maybe "issue" is the wrong word, but we find it a problem when a crucial functionality, that we have been using since 2004, is not working the same anymore.
Same that searching for "rebuild" does not find the rebuild options.
Awaiting the outcome of rebuilding, running for 4 days now.

27 minutes ago, Canis said:

that we have been using since 2004, is not working the same anymore.

I'm afraid, features change in all software all the time and the only way to understand how to use them would be to keep up with the documentation and ask questions 🙂 .

28 minutes ago, Canis said:

Awaiting the outcome of rebuilding, running for 4 days now.

Depending on the amount of members and content you have and then the performance of your server, it can take time. You can check the status by going to ACP -> System -> Dashboard and then even run them manually to have it run faster by clicking "manually run them now"

On 4/22/2023 at 3:12 PM, Jim M said:

I'm afraid, features change in all software all the time and the only way to understand how to use them would be to keep up with the documentation and ask questions

I don't think it is fair to blame only the customer. Ranks has been an important feature since the dawn of IPB and when an upgrade stopped it functioning as expected we could have been notified and explained what to do.
I might be stupid, but despite reading the documentation and starting this thread, I still don't see how to get ranks working as before.

Number of posts rebuild is now finished and that seems to have corrected the problem with counting posts that should not have been counted. But I expect it will be building up again.
Still many members have a better rank that their number of posts should have given them.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

I don't think it is fair to blame only the customer. Ranks has been an important feature since the dawn of IPB and when an upgrade stopped it functioning as expected we could have been notified and explained what to do.
I might be stupid, but despite reading the documentation and starting this thread, I still don't see how to get ranks working as before.

Number of posts rebuild is now finished and that seems to have corrected the problem with counting posts that should not have been counted. But I expect it will be building up again.
Still many members have a better rank that their number of posts should have given them.

I understand your concern here, however there is no blame there. Simply the feature you once used was replaced with the achievements system, quite some time ago. You can set up achievements to work in a similar manner, as previously described, and it sounds like you have now set up. 

I really don't know, as the documentation does not tell you how to set it up so that the old ranks system is not affected.

On 4/27/2023 at 2:39 PM, Canis said:

Why is this?

We would not search out members with issues. You would need to tell us examples you are having issues with. While I understand it may be obvious to yourself when looking at your members, it would not be obvious without having knowledge of your site or the achievements setup intended (not the setup you have). So with an example, we can check it though, inform you why, and you can then change your setup, or we can report as a bug internally if needed

You are providing 1 point for a post and 1 point for a topic. For the author of the topic, this would equate to 2 points for just creating a topic (1 for the topic and 1 for a post). However, keep in mind that the content count does not function this way so their content count and their achievements will be a different number.

Thanks, but I'm still confused.
Are you saying that, after achievements was introduced, we can no longer use number of posts to calculate rank?
Our members have, through 21 years, built their ranks and now we have to remove it?

So if we remove points for topics the topic starter will still get one point?

On 4/29/2023 at 3:43 PM, Jim M said:

You are providing 1 point for a post and 1 point for a topic. For the author of the topic, this would equate to 2 points for just creating a topic (1 for the topic and 1 for a post).

On 5/1/2023 at 5:56 PM, Marc Stridgen said:

Yes, as a topic is also a post. So you are counting  the first post twice

Guys, I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but the empiric evidence of my forum tells me otherwise, that is, a rule for a topic and a separate rule for a post, don't give 1 point each. If I delete the Topic rule, then creating a new Topic gives 0 point. I've done it in the last few days, and now I've gone back to having both rules active again.

I see why you state that, as it would make sense from strictly technical pov, but is there a chance that IPS in all its wisdom has already foreseen that giving a point each would be redundant?

Or maybe it's just my installation, and I'm fine with it for as long as I know I need both rules to give 1 point. But I suggest everyone to test this for yourselves.

I suspect Canis' problem relates more to the fact that the points/reputation system is dissimilar to the post count system, upon which the ranks system was based for many years. Now it suffices to having a subforum where post count doesn't count for a difference between points and posts to gradually increase with the passing of time.

2 hours ago, PPlanet said:

I suspect Canis' problem relates more to the fact that the points/reputation system is dissimilar to the post count system, upon which the ranks system was based for many years.

This is actually the main issue here. It's a different system people need to get used to

I think the problem could also be solved if IPS was to implement an option to avoid giving points for topics/posts made in forums/subforums where the post count is not incremented; after all that option exists for forums, so it would make sense from a global pov to have it as part of the points system as well. Just my 2 cents.

Achievements are now rebuilt and ranks are correct.

If you only use ranks, do you still have to specify forums in the Achivements rules?
(In addition to the  "Increase content counts?" forum setting.)