Updated to PHP 8.x how to update pages?

I have upgraded top PHP 8.x and the latest forum software.

The pages application does not allow upgrade from the admin area, it shows this:

Could contain: Page, Text

I have downloaded the files, uploaded to FTP but skipped same files instead of overwriting as I was afraid to loose the data that I have there.

Now I have noticed that there is a manual option to upload a file within admin to upgrade, but I need a .tar file, where can I find this? I couldn't find it in the downloaded files.

Usually I would contact Invision Community but they no longer provide support which is a shame. I am even willing to pay for support but there doesn't seem to be an option for this and no reply to my emails.

Hopefully someone can help, but surly only Invison Community themselves have the needed .tar file?! 

You can download a copy of IPS and all your purchased applications from the client area here:

https://invisioncommunity.com/clientarea/

Click on the license you wish to use, and there will be a download button at the top of the page.

Extract this, and upload everything in the applications/cms folder to your live installation. It is safe to overwrite any existing files.

Once you do this, go into the AdminCP again and you should see an option to upgrade your pages installation.

Edited by Makoto

Pages is a core application.  You don't update core applications on a standalone basis.  You update them at the time you upgrade the entire suite.  How are you thinking pages is not updated?  

If you did somehow end up with a core application not updated, you would download a full version of the IPB software, which will include any of the core applications you purchased (Pages, Commerce, Gallery, etc) from the client area.

Upload them to your website, and go to domain.com/admin/upgrade.  The updater will walk you through updating everything.  

Also...  support was moved to the forums here more than a year ago.  IPS staff participate and help resolve issues.  Everything starts here and if there is something that requires more advanced help or is private in nature, the staff can convert it to a ticket.  This allows the community as a whole to benefit from each other.  You get the help of other IPB users, you can see what other problems users have had along with the solution, and you have the ability to search for things much faster than just waiting for a staff member.

Edited by Randy Calvert

Thank you for your replies, it is appreciated. I do see how the forums for support can be useful, if they are ultimately picked up by staff, though if not I can see easily be stranded. The guys at invision themselves are great and have helped me a lot in the past.  

To confirm the pages says 'locked' as per the screenshot above. After adding the files there is no way to update from admin applications page, it just asks for a .tar file if doing like that.

When I visit mysite.com/admin/upgrade and start the process I then get a red error and it says:

Table 'TABLENAMEHIDDENFORSECURITY.ccs_databases' doesn't exist

And idea what went wrong? Note that I have hidden the exact database name for security but it is reference the correct database of the forum.  

8 hours ago, ekforum said:

When I visit mysite.com/admin/upgrade and start the process I then get a red error and it says:

Table 'TABLENAMEHIDDENFORSECURITY.ccs_databases' doesn't exist

And idea what went wrong? Note that I have hidden the exact database name for security but it is reference the correct database of the forum.  

If you are getting this when visiting /admin/upgrade/, something must have broken with your install. You may need to uninstall and reinstall the pages application.

This will result in lost data on your pages application, however it looks like your pages database tables are somehow already missing.

7 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You would upgrade it, after uploading the files, by visiting /admin/upgrade in the browser. It wouldnt be updated from the admin CP. I believe that may be where you are going wrong. 🙂

Hi @Marc Stridgen thank you for your reply. Please can you see my precious post. I am updating via that link you mention but it’s not working.

Have I lost my pages data due to the upgrade?! There See several custom pages of my website which I will have most of this has happened. 

NOW MY WHOLE FOURM IS DOWN

This is not good at all! 

I have no idea why you would be missing database tables for the pages application without explicitly uninstalling it, the table you're showing as missing shouldn't be a new table or anything of the sort that I'm aware of.

IPS should not touch the table when upgrading other applications.

Are you able to access phpMyAdmin or any other database management utility on your server (including the MySQL command line if you're comfortable using it) and show us all database tables you have on your forum that have ccs_ in the table name?

What happened immediately prior to your forum going down entirely? Did you try and change or upgrade anything?

Edited by Makoto

9 minutes ago, Makoto said:

What happened immediately prior to your forum going down entirely? Did you try and change or upgrade anything?

Thank you for your reply. I didn't do anything. I uploaded FTP files of the cms and skipped ones that existed, but looking at the time stamp here that was over 11 hours ago.

Other than that I made no changes to files or anything. Something with the upgrade must have messed up my site. 

After it is fixed I am going to have to heavily consider moving to invision cloud, but I am not sure that they can support my forum as it is likely too large for them going by the packages they sell, and no idea what future costs will be if I ended up needing larger disk space, as they do not advertise it. They only advertise up to 6.5tb but no larger package. 

I am getting these system errors:

Could contain: Page, Text

#0 /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/system/Patterns/ActiveRecord.php(148): IPS\_Application::constructFromData()
#1 /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/system/Application/Application.php(236): IPS\Patterns\_ActiveRecord::load()
#2 /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/system/Dispatcher/Front.php(487): IPS\_Application::load()
#3 /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(155): IPS\Dispatcher\_Front->finish()
#4 /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#5 {main}

Just now, Makoto said:

When upgrading, you don't want to skip uploading files that exist, you always want to overwrite existing files. Doing this will lead to broken upgrades.

OK thanks. I can try to upgrade and overrite, I will not loose any pages data such as custom pages I have created will I?

6 minutes ago, ekforum said:

OK thanks. I can try to upgrade and overrite, I will not loose any pages data such as custom pages I have created will I?

No, the files that you download from Invision are the core software files. They only contain code, none of the files you are overwriting contain your own data. This information is either stored in the database, or as independent files in upload directories of your installation. Overwriting will never erase any content you have on your community.

However, I am concerned over the missing database error you are seeing, but I don't know just how far back you upgraded from. Just to be clear, if this table is missing and there is any data missing as a result, it won't be from overwriting the upgrade files as mentioned above, this is a problem that already exists.

But until you properly fully upgrade all your invision files and run the upgrade properly, we won't be able to confirm for sure if any data was lost.

But it's always a good idea to make a full backup if you can before upgrading regardless, including of your database.

Additionally I have to ask, when you upgraded the core invision software or any other applications, did you skip replacing those files as well?

Edited by Makoto

7 minutes ago, Makoto said:

No, the files that you download from Invision are the core software files. They only contain code, none of the files you are overwriting contain your own data. This information is either stored in the database, or as independent files in upload directories of your installation. Overwriting will never erase any content you have on your community.

Many thanks! I have now uploaded and overritten. 

Unfortuantly when I go to mysite/admin/upgrade I am still getting the same issue: 'DATABASENAMEHIDDENFORSECURITY.ccs_databases' doesn't exist

this database.ccs_database 

Not sure why that is missing or how to fix.

Which version of IPS did you upgrade from?

1 hour ago, Makoto said:

Are you able to access phpMyAdmin or any other database management utility on your server (including the MySQL command line if you're comfortable using it) and show us all database tables you have on your forum that have ccs_ in the table name?

Can you do the above and send a screenshot showing which database tables do exist on your IPS installation?

10 hours ago, ekforum said:

After it is fixed I am going to have to heavily consider moving to invision cloud, but I am not sure that they can support my forum as it is likely too large for them going by the packages they sell, and no idea what future costs will be if I ended up needing larger disk space, as they do not advertise it. They only advertise up to 6.5tb but no larger package. 

There is nothing that would be too large for us on our cloud. I will get a ticket with you on this so you can discuss with our sales team.

In the meantime, please update your access details on file, and we can get this looked into further

37 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

In the meantime, please update your access details on file, and we can get this looked into further

Thank you. I have updated. 

Also noticed that a cron error has just appeared since upgrading to PHP 8.0, so I need to find a developer to fix that asap:

/usr/bin/php -d memory_limit=-1 -d max_execution_time=0 /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/applications/core/interface/task/task.php da4d98eeb7e1d3ff18a79ff4dfc84057

10 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

What is the cron error?

Think it was just a miss warning in invision admin as apparently all fine on the server settings.

I do have this pages issue, have updated login details, hopefully incision is able to at fix the pages application on my site? Many thanks 

5 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I have created a ticket on the pages issue

Any update on this?

I received an email from you at 14:03 UK time (now 18:22) it was a generic message asking to update login credentials. I had already updated them so they should be working, I replied to this and asked which details exactly are not working. But since have not heard back.

1 hour ago, ekforum said:

Any update on this?

I received an email from you at 14:03 UK time (now 18:22) it was a generic message asking to update login credentials. I had already updated them so they should be working, I replied to this and asked which details exactly are not working. But since have not heard back.

Unfortunately, we did not hear back from you that you have updated the access details as requested. Since you have posted now, I have checked these and now escalated your ticket.

21 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, we did not hear back from you that you have updated the access details as requested. Since you have posted now, I have checked these and now escalated your ticket.

Thank you @Jim M for escalating it. I have just doubled checked and the email is in my outbox, so perhaps it has gone to your junk folder. I do recall one of your sales representatives in the past kept saying I didn’t reply to him, but I had sent several emails without a reply. I wasn’t sure if he just didn’t want to answer my questions 😄 or maybe occasionally my emails go to the invision junk folder (most likely) 

I think my reply must have ended up in your junk folder again? As no reply since this morning.

Thank you to Invision for updating the pages application on my board. But to confirm, the pages application is still not working, if I enable it, the front end goes completely white (not a single element on the page), this is on any forum page and including the forum index. This is not a permissions issue. If I enabled pages, the pages application doesn't work.

Odd, we received your reply ~7 hours ago from me replying now. Any difference between how you're replying that it's not going out? We replied back ~6 hours ago. Did you reply after that?

If you are receiving a white blank page, this is typically a suppressed PHP error. Please check your server error logs for this error.