Creating new group locks out users

Washerhelp

Hi,

Have I done this incorrectly, or is this how it's supposed to work? I have some members who are very valued regular contributors, so I decided create a specific group so they did not need posts moderating and moved them into it. Some weeks later, I've noticed that when I look at the permissions section on any of my forums - the new group has no permissions to see any forums, or reply to them.

Surely this can't be right? I didn't see anything about permissions when I created the group. So it seems like if I create any new group, by default the group is pointless because members can't see the forums unless I manually add permissions on all 20 forums one by one.

I've also noticed that when creating a new home page, many of the blocks are also blocking the new group by default.

If you don’t set a forums permission to be default allowed, you need to implicitly set it when adding a new group. 

You can just edit the group and choose permissions… it can literally be added from one screen. 

And regarding blocks, yes… if you manage permissions for who can see stuff… yes you would need to add permissions to view it. Think of you had a staff widget. If you added a new group, you would not want all new random groups to see it. 

FYI… by the way… this is the feature request section, not the support forum. support staff don’t monitor this area really closely. 🙂 

Thanks Randy. I posted it here because I suspected the behaviour was normal, and not a technical issue. Therefore I would like to suggest that when creating a new group we should be prompted to set permissions if none are set by default and or to review permissions. 

I've been using Invasion for 15 years, and have never created a new group before. As it stands, you create a new group, and nothing warns you that this new group has no permissions to even view the forums.