"Prune Member IP Addresses" doesn't work

Hi, Invision team -

As stated in the title of this forum topic, the "Prune Member IP Addresses" feature is not working for my self-hosted install. My community is fully up to date, I have the correct options enabled, and I have cron jobs running constantly to ensure that all tasks execute as they should. However, in spite of everything being in order, member IP addresses going back to the beginning of time are clogging up the system. I've even manually kicked off prune jobs just to ensure that I've got my bases covered.

To comply with GDPR, I must be able to purge member data, especially IP addresses. A prime example of IP addresses never pruning can be seen on the member account called "Charles Maxwell."

Can you please assist in resolving this problem? You can find the details about my forum in my Client Area.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

19 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Jim...  I *think* he's saying IPs are not getting removed after the pre-configured time, not that IPs are missing.

Could contain: Text, Page

That IPs from prior to whatever value is stored in that field are not being pruned out.  

(I can't confirm that myself however as I don't prune IP addresses ever.)

I am trying to ascertain what IP addresses he is still seeing that are still around after the task runs. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 8:20 PM, Jim M said:

I am trying to ascertain what IP addresses he is still seeing that are still around after the task runs. 

Hi, @Jim M -

I apologize for my late reply here. I didn't receive a notice of your response.

@Randy Calvert is correct. IP addresses are not getting pruned out of member histories when the jobs run. They are getting pruned off of posts. However, you can pull up any member's history and see every IP address they have ever used, back to the beginning of time. These are the IP addresses I am trying to clean up.

I have seen other people post about this problem, but I've yet to see a fix. Do you know of one?

Screenshots of my current ACP settings are below, along with an example of a member with IP addresses that go back as far as 2019.
 Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage, PersonCould contain: Page, Text, File, Person, WebpageCould contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage, Person

Edited by Charles Maxwell
Added screenshots.

31 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

We'll have a blog entry about some exciting news soon, until then I can confirm that this was implemented as part of a bigger project for an upcoming release 🙂

@Daniel F - I'm not sure I understand. This feature currently exists, but doesn't seem to be working with my install. Are you saying that IP cleanup being broken is a known (and very long-standing issue) that is about to be fixed? What is the workaround in the interim, if so?

On 4/11/2023 at 9:03 PM, Daniel F said:

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, in the future almost all ip addresses will be removed ( we'll not remove the ip address from the admin and mod log table )

Thanks...but that has nothing to do with this problem, nor will it solve the issue in the future.

What's the solution to the immediate issue?

Edited by Charles Maxwell

There is no solution. The product does not do what you want it to do yet. Now with that said, IPS has numerous large corporate customers who are subject to GDPR and this is not a problem. So take it for what you will…

The solution is to either have a 3rd party create a resource to do what you want to wait for IPS to add the features they’ve walked about that are on the roadmap. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 9:11 PM, Randy Calvert said:

There is no solution. The product does not do what you want it to do yet. Now with that said, IPS has numerous large corporate customers who are subject to GDPR and this is not a problem. So take it for what you will…

The solution is to either have a 3rd party create a resource to do what you want to wait for IPS to add the features they’ve walked about that are on the roadmap. 

I'm not sure you fully understand the situation here. The reply by @Daniel F does not in any way address the cron jobs not actually pruning member IP history in Admin. He explicitly states that Admin is not being touched. Waiting for IPS to add a feature that's not coming is not a solution.

15 minutes ago, Charles Maxwell said:

I'm not sure you fully understand the situation here. The reply by @Daniel F does not in any way address the cron jobs not actually pruning member IP history in Admin. He explicitly states that Admin is not being touched. Waiting for IPS to add a feature that's not coming is not a solution.

Without suggesting the solution you want in our Feedback forum or having a third party provider create it for you, one will not be had if the current tools do not meet what you want. (Keep in mind too that simply suggesting a feature is not a guarantee it will be made into the software).

10 hours ago, Charles Maxwell said:

The reply by @Daniel F does not in any way address the cron jobs not actually pruning member IP history in Admin.

I feel this was very much misunderstood. Daniel has not stated that member history will not be removed in the admin area. He has stated that admin history will not be removed. So actions which are taken by admin or moderators will not be removed. Please take a look at the additions here