Hide a group in online list users

Go to solution Solved by Amy Pond,

ACP - Members - Members - Groups

Find the group you want to change and choose edit. Scroll down to the Privacy Settings section.

Find “Allow filtering by this group?” and change it to off.

Just an FYI… this will mean the user does not show up anywhere that filters based on group. That group essentially becomes hidden. 

3 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

ACP - Members - Members - Groups

Find the group you want to change and choose edit. Scroll down to the Privacy Settings section.

Find “Allow filtering by this group?” and change it to off.

Just an FYI… this will mean the user does not show up anywhere that filters based on group. That group essentially becomes hidden. 

Hi, thank you. I already did it but it didn't work: the group is still visible in the online users list 😕

The group I would like to hide is "soft bounces".

I also already tried to clear the forum cache, I don't understand why it doesn't work 🫥

Could contain: Page, Text

Could contain: Text, Person, Face, Head

5 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

That widget is not updated real time. It can be delayed several minutes. Look at the online list itself. After like 15 minutes, you should not see the group on the online list widget. 

I already put off "allow filtering by this group?" options before opening this topic, so more then 40 minutes ago...

There's no way to hide them!

The group setting controls only if the group name will be exposed in the public, but it doesn't control if the members are shown or not.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your question.

Is this a 3rd party widget? Our widget doesn't include the groups

Screenshot_20230314_084904_Chrome.jpg.16

5 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

There's no way to hide them!

The group setting controls only if the group name will be exposed in the public, but it doesn't control if the members are shown or not.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your question.

Is this a 3rd party widget? Our widget doesn't include the groups

Screenshot_20230314_084904_Chrome.jpg.16

No, is a group that I created but with normal group options...

• Solution
Just now, Randy Calvert said:

In the screenshot you have circled, the default online user list widget provided by IPS does not display what groups exist.  

We’re asking what third party resource you’re using to display the groups in the online list.  That is most likely your culprit. 

Oh, sorry, I completely forgot that! I solved: the third party resource is the plugin "Group Name Indicator" by All Astronauts, now I set the plugin correctly. Thank you! 

EDIT: In looking further…. I found this third party resource in the marketplace.  This looks to be what might be installed based on your screenshot.

If so, you would need to ask the author why they’re not honoring hidden groups. 

Edit again… looks like our posts crossed!  Glad you figured it out. 

Edited by Randy Calvert