Older iOS devices no longer able to post or see pics after update

Go to solution Solved by Matt,

There is an issue we're looking into with lazy loading and these older iOS versions. 

What videos are they reporting? Are these videos which have been uploaded to a forum post? Are they embedded YouTube videos?

51 minutes ago, SJ77 said:
  • Replying to a topic is not possible anymore (a very tiny non-selectable area appears where I would normally type a reply, but it doesn't trigger the keyboard interface)
  • Whenever I see a small down-pointing triangle that should allow a sub-menu (as in e.g. "page 1 of 22 ▼"), it does not activate any menu.

These two issues, I would recommend clearing their cache as it sounds like they have corrupted cache.

28 minutes ago, Jim M said:

What videos are they reporting? Are these videos which have been uploaded to a forum post? Are they embedded YouTube videos?

These two issues, I would recommend clearing their cache as it sounds like they have corrupted cache.

The user wasn’t specific about which videos. Seems like barely anything is working now, so perhaps any video is not working.

I didn’t recommend clearing cache since the user says they installed a brand new browser, clean, and still had the same issue

13 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

The user wasn’t specific about which videos. Seems like barely anything is working now, so perhaps any video is not working.

Specifying is important here as some may be embedded, others not, some are third party which may be other issues, etc…

14 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

I didn’t recommend clearing cache since the user says they installed a brand new browser, clean, and still had the same

Only Safari would be supported so working there would be key. 

On 4/2/2023 at 8:40 AM, Jim M said:

Specifying is important here as some may be embedded, others not, some are third party which may be other issues, etc…

Only Safari would be supported so working there would be key. 

ok,

Member has confirmed this does not help

Could contain: Page, Text

• Management
  • Solution

I've taken a look at this issue, and it's caused by new javascript code in Invision Community taking full advantage of the ES (2020) syntax, specifically the chaining operator, like so:

ips.getSetting?.('baseURL')?.replace

This is only supported from iOS 13.4 onwards (https://caniuse.com/?search=optional chaining operator)

We can remove the chaining operator from this line of code which will fix the issue, but moving forwards we are more likely to use it again - especially for Invision Community v5.

3 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

A fix is now available for this issue in new downloads of 4.7.9 and for those already on 4.7.9, it can be obtained from the AdminCP > support page in the top left box.

IS the fix available independently if one is on 4.7.8? Since the blast radius of 4.7.9 could be large with changes to payment APIs it could be awhile till we upgrade.

12 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

IS the fix available independently if one is on 4.7.8? Since the blast radius of 4.7.9 could be large with changes to payment APIs it could be awhile till we upgrade.

I'm afraid, it is not at this time as it requires 4.7.9.

I didn't realize forums were that popular with the rest home set.... but I've been running a forum since the WWIV BBS days.

Eventually, the fix is going to be users upgrading their hardware. We can't and shouldn't expect IPS to hold back the entire suite just so a few users can keep using 10-year-old iPads.

I don't think IPS should have reverted that code if it benefited the suite. If it has been several years since Apple has supported the device, there's no reason that IPS should be.

2 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

Eventually, the fix is going to be users upgrading their hardware. We can't and shouldn't expect IPS to hold back the entire suite just so a few users can keep using 10-year-old iPads.

I don't think IPS should have reverted that code if it benefited the suite. If it has been several years since Apple has supported the device, there's no reason that IPS should be.

Yes, but iOS 13 is ~3 years old so we shouldn't abandon it so soon.

57 minutes ago, David.. said:

Yes, but iOS 13 is ~3 years old so we shouldn't abandon it so soon.

It's not necessarily iOS itself but the device it's on.

In this case, in order to use the operator Matt mentions, you need to be running iOS / iPadOS 13.4 - which is supported by (I think - a quick Google search didn't make it abundantly clear) iPhone 6S (released September 2015) and higher, and iPad Air 2 (released October 2014) and higher.

Any devices older than those may not work as we begin migrating to newer technologies because they can no longer be updated beyond the last version that they supported.