Older iOS devices no longer able to post or see pics after update

Go to solution Solved by Matt,

We upgraded yesterday afternoon to 4.7.8 from the previous version, and since then a lot of our members with older iOS versions, particularly older iPads are unable to post or see pics.  Is there a definitive guide to the cut-off version for iOS, iPadOS and maybe even other OSes?  Most of the folks with older devices tend to be a bit less technically minded, or unable or unwilling to pay out for newer devices, so it's a tricky issue for us forum owners, and it requires a bit of tact due to the costs involved for the members to continue to use the forum.

Mike.

Edited by Mikeiw3001

What are the devices and iOS versions? We do not have a document outlining this but generally, if the device is old and/or it is not receiving updates from the OS manufacture, we can't really provide support for outdated technology. It really would be in an "as-is" use.

Of course, if you're using technology, like CloudFlare, to transpose your images to WEBP and the device doesn't support WEBP, that is outside our hands. 

I'm still waiting for reports from the various members affected, but one has already confirmed that he's on an iPad Air original that he admits is older than he is (he's joking), and is on iOS 12.  The others have already made complaints about having to upgrade their hardware, so I suspect we're looking at old hardware that's outlasted support with no iOS updates.  I was kind of hoping there was a simple way to get them working again to quieten them down.  They're kind of lucky that their hardware has lasted as long as it has, but they don't see it like that, just more expense.  I said I'd ask.

I think it's a case of not wanting to accept that tech has moved on for the most part, and they can't see why it was working yesterday morning, but not today, and their devices haven't changed.  I'm pretty sure I only know a tenth of a fraction of a soupçon, but I know it's a bit more involved than an IMG tag that displays images these days. 

My old XP laptop that I use for printing on an out-of-date ALPS printer won't post to the forum either, but I don't need it to, so I'm not complaining personally 😉

We don't use CloudFlare, so that's off the menu.

Mike.

Unfortunately, the iPad Air 1 is 10 years old at this point and only upgradable to iOS 12 which is 5 years old so likely would start or will encounter issues on the modern web.

12 minutes ago, Mikeiw3001 said:

We don't use CloudFlare, so that's off the menu.

CloudFlare was just an example. There are others out there that do similar things. 

On 3/12/2023 at 3:11 AM, McKiernan said:

I can confirm that members of our forum have also had the same problems described above since upgrading to 4.7.8.

Older iPads experiencing layout issues, images in older posts not displaying correctly. 

As mentioned to my colleague, unfortunately using software designed for the latest technologies on older tech will have issues unfortunately. As apple is no longer supporting updating those with the latest browsers, they will fall further and further behind

Just curious... What type of images are not being displayed? IPS still supports the basics like JPEG/JPG, PNG, GIF.

Updated:

I just dug out my trusty ye olde iPad 3 with IOS 9.3.5 on it and I see what you mean! It might be to do with the IPS version of lazy loading.

Could contain: Computer, Electronics, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Monitor, Screen, Pc, Laptop, Tablet Computer

Edited by The Old Man

Actually, it's a bit confusing. Just looking at the homepage of the forum here the images aren't showing in Firefox on my PC. Then when I checked the source code, its because there are no images for those categories any more!

Looking at other websites on that old iPad, it displays images just fine, aside from WebP of course.

1 hour ago, The Old Man said:

Actually, it's a bit confusing. Just looking at the homepage of the forum here the images aren't showing in Firefox on my PC. Then when I checked the source code, its because there are no images for those categories any more!

Looking at other websites on that old iPad, it displays images just fine, aside from WebP of course.

Is this the latest version of firefox you are Seeing issues on? Im not seeing any issues at all on firefox my end

10 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

Yes it was the latest version for Windows 11 PC.

You may wish to check your settings and plugins/extensions, and clear cache for good measure. Maybe something is blocking it?  Using a default installation of Firefox, on two separate computers running Win 11, I am not seeing any issues on our forums index page.

Hi @Marc Stridgen

Sure, I just did a quick test with and without the plug-in and it made no difference. I think its just that there are no images for those forums anymore, at least according to the source code in the dev tools.

TEST 1 Firefox DuckDuckGo Extension Disabled:

Could contain: Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Text

Some images not showing

Could contain: File, Webpage, Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Person

TEST 2 Firefox DuckDuckGo Extension Enabled:

Could contain: Page, Text, Advertisement, Poster

Still some images not loading

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

Advanced Development forum image is in the source code and is a jpg, but Marketplace for example seems to have no image set, I think that's the reason:

Could contain: Page, Text

Pretty similar in Chrome with the DuckDuckGo extension enabled too:

Could contain: File, Page, Text

3 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Hi @Marc Stridgen

Sure, I just did a quick test with and without the plug-in and it made no difference. I think its just that there are no images for those forums anymore, at least according to the source code in the dev tools.

TEST 1 Firefox DuckDuckGo Extension Disabled:

Could contain: Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Text

Some images not showing

Could contain: File, Webpage, Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Person

TEST 2 Firefox DuckDuckGo Extension Enabled:

Could contain: Page, Text, Advertisement, Poster

Still some images not loading

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

Advanced Development forum image is in the source code and is a jpg, but Marketplace for example seems to have no image set, I think that's the reason:

Could contain: Page, Text

Pretty similar in Chrome with the DuckDuckGo extension enabled too:

Could contain: File, Page, Text

Correct, some of these forums do not have images. That would be expected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 9:14 AM, Matt said:

Should be fixed now, thanks.

Where is this available? How can I apply this on my community?

I am on an iOS 13 device and the issue seems to be much more than just the images not loading. I & a member can reproduce on 3 separate Invision Community websites.

It seems that the CKEditor is failing to load, the search & sign in dropdown does not load, the rating starts icon isn't loading, and as you can see from the screenshot @The Old Man posted above, there are also various (CSS) layout issues.

This issue does not seem to happen on the latest versions of iOS.

11 minutes ago, David.. said:

Where is this available? How can I apply this on my community?

I am on an iOS 13 device and the issue seems to be much more than just the images not loading. I & a member can reproduce on 3 separate Invision Community websites.

It seems that the CKEditor is failing to load, the search & sign in dropdown does not load, the rating starts icon isn't loading, and as you can see from the screenshot @The Old Man posted above, there are also various (CSS) layout issues.

This issue does not seem to happen on the latest versions of iOS.

The fix was we did not have images on some of our forum categories, Matt uploaded images to those. 

What you are stating here is different. Have you tried clearing your browser's cache? If you're still having an issue, could you please provide us an example URL and screenshot to what you're seeing?

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

The fix was we did not have images on some of our forum categories, Matt uploaded images to those. 

What you are stating here is different. Have you tried clearing your browser's cache? If you're still having an issue, could you please provide us an example URL and screenshot to what you're seeing?

Please see the attached screenshots.

The same issue happens on a Private tab.

Could contain: Text, Page, Face, Head, Person

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person, Face, Head, Text

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Person

Edited by David..

Thank you. Looking on iOS 13 in general, I am seeing some oddities with some images but cannot directly reproduce the issues with the editor, CSS, or rating system that you are having. I submitted a bug report for the image issues I am seeing.

Are you using the same connection as a device which is able to see these things? I just want to rule out any network connectivity issues or blocks.

7 hours ago, Jim M said:

Thank you. Looking on iOS 13 in general, I am seeing some oddities with some images but cannot directly reproduce the issues with the editor, CSS, or rating system that you are having. I submitted a bug report for the image issues I am seeing.

Are you using the same connection as a device which is able to see these things? I just want to rule out any network connectivity issues or blocks.

Yes, everything works fine on my other devices. Seems to be an issue with the older iOS versions?

I'm able to reproduce this issue on ipsfocus.net too even after clearing all website data in Safari settings.

I just got this message from a member: 

Similar problem. On an ipad, some 7 years old, not able to upgrade beyond 12.5.7, I experience a range of issues since Saturday (April 1st this is upgrade to 4.7.8). The same issue on a multiplicity of browsers (Firefox, Opera, Safari, some of these freshly installed). All these items worked fine on Friday on the same tablet and iOS:

• Thumbnail images do not appear anymore as thumbnails but only as links.
  • Videos that worked fine till Friday cannot be viewed anymore.
  •  Replying to a topic is not possible anymore (a very tiny non-selectable area appears where I would normally type a reply, but it doesn't trigger the keyboard interface)
  • Whenever I see a small down-pointing triangle that should allow a sub-menu (as in e.g. "page 1 of 22 ▼"), it does not activate any menu.

Together, this renders the site quite useless on that device.

As stated, up to Friday, all these features worked fine on the same device.