Clicking on notifications: Number of unread notifs goes to 0. Everything turns "read"

I'm just going to directly quote an issue a member of my forum came to me with:

When one does have more than one notification, say, 3, it usually means that you've been mentioned/quoted or somebody reacted to your post/comment in more than one topic. The notification system tells you everything you care for but there's a flaw at least on my end: when you click into the notification button, ALL notifications turn instantly to "already read"

For example I have 9 notifications now. No matter what I do, I will go from 9 to 0 at the moment I click on the notifications button. Is there a way to modify that? And so decreasing the count by one when you actually click on that notification?

So my questions would be:

1. Is there a way to have the notification count subtract by 1, as you click on each notification?
  2. If not, is there a way to keep the the messages in the notifications unread, until it is clicked?

This leads me to the next issue, and I am not sure if this is a bug. The dropdown notification menu is always marked as "read". But the notification page correctly marks the threads as unread or read. They don't match, and you can take a look at my screenshot for an example.

Could contain: Page, Text, File

Ok I see. Just a simple follow up.

Is there any way to have it where the dropdown notifications menu retains its "unread" status until it has actually been clicked? For example, shouldn't it at the very least mirror what's seen on the "/notifications/" page?

Edited by chopin

There is no way in which to do that, no. It shouldnt mirror what is in the notification page. In the notifications page you are seeing a list of content items. As such, you are seeing the read status of that content item. Whereas the notification dropdown is the notification itself, which once clicked, has of course been read (you read that you have a notification)

• 4 weeks later...

I would also appreciate it if you could mark the notifications in the dropdown separately as read and not all are marked as read when opened. In our community, this often leads to confusion among users. Especially when you have more than 3 notifications.