Downloads App: Extra Fields - Password

Go to solution Solved by Adriano Faria,

Maybe I'm being dense about this, but I do not think this is working properly. Help!

In the Downloads app you can set up extra fields, and there is a built-in "password" type. One would *think* that means that you can require a password to download a file. Yes? 

I set it up like this: 

Could contain: Page, Text

and enabled the field on the relevant Category: 

Could contain: Logo, Text

When I set up a download in that category, it DID let me enter a password:

Could contain: Page, Text

BUT the finished file does NOT ask for a password. It displays this under the description:

Could contain: Page, Text, Dynamite, Weapon

and simply lets ANYONE download. What good is that?? What am I doing wrong?????

Downloads does not have the ability to password protect files.  Extra fields are used across the suite...  The password field simply takes whatever is entered into the form and displays *****'s as you enter it.  The actual entered value is stored in the record (instead of ****'s).

It does not actually add the functionality to password protect a file.  I believe you would need some sort of 3rd party modification to support this.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

12 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Downloads does not have the ability to password protect files.  Extra fields are used across the suite...  The password field simply takes whatever is entered into the form and displays *****'s as you enter it.  The actual entered value is stored in the record (instead of ****'s).

It does not actually add the functionality to password protect a file.  I believe you would need some sort of 3rd party modification to support this.  

Thank you for the reply. 

Then I guess what baffles me the most, is why on earth the field type "password" is even in there. Displaying ****s isn't really helpful.

I know how to password-protect a file, but that's not really what I need to do. I need to password-protect the download entry itself so that you cannot download it unless you have the password. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

6 minutes ago, The Studio said:

Then I guess what baffles me the most, is why on earth the field type "password" is even in there. Displaying ****s isn't really helpful.

Keep in mind the custom fields like this exist across the software. It is simply a field type which makes an HTML input field of the password type.

7 minutes ago, The Studio said:

I know how to password-protect a file, but that's not really what I need to do. I need to password-protect the download entry itself so that you cannot download it unless you have the password. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

There are no means for a password protected download. The only permission system is in the member group, I'm afraid. If you are only giving out select access, you can move these individuals manually to a group for access.

With Commerce and Downloads you can charge for downloads but still no password protection application.

16 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

And just to provide context...  the "password" field can be used anywhere you don't want the input displayed back to the user.  For example, if they were entering a Social Security number or any other sensitive field.  It's just a display mechanism.  

Ah, I see. That could be useful if you were gathering sensitive info.

21 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Keep in mind the custom fields like this exist across the software. It is simply a field type which makes an HTML input field of the password type.

There are no means for a password protected download. The only permission system is in the member group, I'm afraid. If you are only giving out select access, you can move these individuals manually to a group for access.

With Commerce and Downloads you can charge for downloads but still no password protection application.

Understood. Then downloads won't work for us for this application. We already use member groups but that's not practical in this case.

We give out a birthday goodie to ALL active members, so we're talking about thousands of people and daily messages. We already have a way to send out birthday messages each day, but I'm searching for a better way to deliver the goodie.