Migrating to new domain (subdomain)

Hi,

We are looking to move our domain to a new subdomain (ie, site1.com to community.site2.com). Do we need to submit a support request to go about this or can it be done in the admin panel?

Is it possible within invision to update any hrefs on the original site1.com to our new community.site2.com, such that users stay on the same site through their experience? How would we go about executing this ourselves through the admin panel?

The above would hopefully not only be for links in the pages but also in posts on the forum, would this be separate processes?

Following this (if possible), we'd intend to take the following steps:

1. Set up a 301 redirect for traffic from site1.com to community.site2.com
  2. Update the sitemap to submit to Google Search Console

Thank you!

You would change the domain in your conf_global.php file once you have moved all the files to the new location (if indeed you need to move your files to somewhere else). Once that is done, you then need to visit your client area, select your license, and click change URL. This will reset your licensed URL so your license shows correctly.

With regard 301 redirects, this is something you should speak to your hosting company about. This is usually done with an htaccess redirect file, but it will depend on your hosting and where exactly files are being moved or not moved on your host.

The sitemap you dont need to worry about at all. The software submits sitemaps itself.

3 minutes ago, DeckeeJack said:

How would we also go about updating all the links within the forum's posts and such?

All links in the software will update automatically. However, manual copy/paste links will need to be manually update. I'm afraid, there is no way around this.

With regard to an earlier point around speaking to hosting company to set up redirects, from my understanding, we are hosted by IPS

Subsequently when I go to the support request part of the IPS community suite, it directs me back to this forum

How should I go about this?

Hi @DeckeeJack,

Whilst this is a public forum, it is the central place to get any support for Invision Community. We have incorporated the peer support concept which means our knowledgeable community can also assist where they can if they happen to beat us to the topic.

We also have the ability to escalate issues to other teams via a ticket, so you are in the right place to receive the very same support just like you did before the change.

12 hours ago, DeckeeJack said:

With regard to an earlier point around speaking to hosting company to set up redirects, from my understanding, we are hosted by IPS

Subsequently when I go to the support request part of the IPS community suite, it directs me back to this forum

How should I go about this?

Unless youa re taking about a site which you are not associated with on your license, you are not hosted by IPS