Moving forum to a new host

Quick question, I'm moving to a new webhost. Is the best course of action to upload install files, do a new install, and then import a database backup the best route or should I be copying over the forum files from the old host to the new host and then import a database backup?

3 minutes ago, Gary said:

Hi @eliteone,

This was actually brought up recently and I believe has been answered quite well in another topic.

If you still have issues after following these steps though, please let us know.

Looks promising. The domain isn't changing for me however. Assume then just change the database name etc in the config file? 

In your Client Area? You should be able to amend the URL after you have moved the community over to the new host. Have a read through this guide to give you a better understanding on the finer details.

Yes, and the URL in the `conf_global.php` file if that is changing too.

3 minutes ago, Gary said:

In your Client Area? You should be able to amend the URL after you have moved the community over to the new host. Have a read through this guide to give you a better understanding on the finer details.

Yes, and the URL in the `conf_global.php` file if that is changing too.

When I do step 3 on the thread you linked, restoring the database file I exported from the old phpmyadmin I get this error.

Could contain: Text, Page

Are you still using the same version (2.x) of Invision Community at the new host or are you importing everything to a newer/latest version (4.7.7)?

My advice would be to bring everything over as is, and then perform an upgrade of Invision Community if that is your intention.

Be sure to create a backup though in case things go pear-shaped. We do not provide support for server-side issues so I can only provide limited assistance, but others in the community are free to lend their hand. If you are unsure on things, I would recommend getting in touch with your new host to see if they can help you bring things over with as little issues as possible.

1 hour ago, Gary said:

Are you still using the same version (2.x) of Invision Community at the new host or are you importing everything to a newer/latest version (4.7.7)?

My advice would be to bring everything over as is, and then perform an upgrade of Invision Community if that is your intention.

Be sure to create a backup though in case things go pear-shaped. We do not provide support for server-side issues so I can only provide limited assistance, but others in the community are free to lend their hand. If you are unsure on things, I would recommend getting in touch with your new host to see if they can help you bring things over with as little issues as possible.

Forum is on 4.76. I've just had it active since version 2.x era. I'm uploading everything to be safe. 

10 hours ago, Gary said:

Great! Let us know how you go once everything is up and running on the new host.

Copied the files over did the database stuff. Forum doesn't launch and this is in the error logs numerous times. 

Uncaught Error: Failed opening required 'init.php' (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php80/root/usr/share/pear') 

Fixed the error above however after all the files have been upload and the database back up added it won't launch the forum at all. Gives a ERR_TIMED_OUT message on Edge, Chrome and Firefox browsers. 

Can a fresh install be done, add all the applications and plugins that were on the original board etc. Then import that database backup to get this to work.  Running out of ideas on what is needed here to make this work? 🤔

On 2/22/2023 at 1:53 PM, Randy Calvert said:

OK.  Let's go to the basics.  Have you uploaded the IPS compatibility script to make sure the new host meets the requirements?  Since you said you're not changing domain names, have you confirmed your original URL is properly routed to your new host's DNS? 

It meets the requirements, even has MYSQL 5.7 (one of the reasons for moving to new host) I'm uploading the files again to make sure nothing was missed. 

53 minutes ago, eliteone said:

It meets the requirements, even has MYSQL 5.7 (one of the reasons for moving to new host) I'm uploading the files again to make sure nothing was missed. 

Good news is I got it uploaded. The forum is working. I'm getting a 500 error from Cpanel about port 443 when trying to go to the admin link.